Translation of understand in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (grasp meaning of) there are several words I can't understandhay unas cuantas palabras que no entiendoI can't speak Italian, but I can understand itno hablo italiano pero lo entiendoI can make myself understoodme puedo hacer entenderI can't understand why he did itno logro entender or comprender por qué lo hizoyou must understand that these things take timetiene que comprender or entender que estas cosas llevan tiempoI don't want it to happen again; have I made myself understood?no quiero que vuelva a suceder ¿está claro?now that we understand one anotherahora que nos entendemosExample sentences1.2 (interpret) her remark can be understood several ways
su comentario se puede entender or interpretar de varias manerasI understood him to be saying something quite differentpor lo que yo entendí él dijo algo muy diferenteplease understand me correctly!por favor no me malinterpreten or no me interpreten malas I understand it, …según tengo entendido, …what do you understand by the term 'deprivation'?
- We knew that he had never been to school and yet he could speak so fluently and be understood by first language speakers.
- For the most part, speakers of different dialects can make themselves understood to speakers of other dialects.
- To top it all off, half of the actresses sound like they're trying to speak English without understanding a word of it.
por lo que entiendo, …
según creo, …¿qué entiendes tú por 'privaciones'?Example sentences1.3 (sympathize, empathize with) try to understand my position
trata de comprender or entender mi situaciónnobody understands me!nadie me entiende or comprende
- But Jack rejects this view and understands it for what it is.
- A lot of people don't understand it and view it as something negative because of the extreme nature of it.
- It normally understood all points of view equally, but something seemed to be changing with it.
soy un incomprendidoExample sentences
- Everything makes sense when you're little, because what you don't understand you invent an explanation for.
- I'm not sure I understood much about the situation in the region.
- What needs to be understood about the situation is that both leaders are hostage to their own constituencies.
- There's a sense that this guy is not quite understanding enough or sympathetic enough to the allies' point of view.
- One would believe that pain would be socially understood and somewhat sympathized with.
- In the case of Nora, I refused to start writing her as a character until I truly understood her.
- 2 (believe, infer) the president is understood to favor the second optionse cree que el presidente prefiere la segunda opciónshe is understood to have said that …parece que dijo que …I understand you play tennistengo entendido que juega al tenisI understood you'd changed jobscreí que había cambiado de trabajoam I to understand that you won't help?¿entonces quiere decir que no me van a ayudar?I was given to understand I'd get my money backme dieron a entender que me devolverían el dineroshe has let it be understood that …ha dado a entender que …see also→ understood2
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.