Translation of understand in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (grasp meaning of) there are several words I can't understandI can't speak Italian, but I can understand ithay unas cuantas palabras que no entiendoI can make myself understoodno hablo italiano pero lo entiendoI can't understand why he did itme puedo hacer entenderyou must understand that these things take timeno logro entender or comprender por qué lo hizoI don't want it to happen again; have I made myself understood?tiene que comprender or entender que estas cosas llevan tiemponow that we understand one anotherno quiero que vuelva a suceder ¿está claro?ahora que nos entendemosExample sentences1.2 (interpret) her remark can be understood several ways
I understood him to be saying something quite differentsu comentario se puede entender or interpretar de varias manerasplease understand me correctly!por lo que yo entendí él dijo algo muy diferenteas I understand it, …por favor no me malinterpreten or no me interpreten malwhat do you understand by the term 'deprivation'?según tengo entendido, …por lo que entiendo, …según creo, …¿qué entiendes tú por 'privaciones'?Example sentences1.3 (sympathize, empathize with) try to understand my position
- We knew that he had never been to school and yet he could speak so fluently and be understood by first language speakers.
- For the most part, speakers of different dialects can make themselves understood to speakers of other dialects.
- To top it all off, half of the actresses sound like they're trying to speak English without understanding a word of it.
nobody understands me!trata de comprender or entender mi situaciónnadie me entiende or comprendesoy un incomprendidoExample sentences
- But Jack rejects this view and understands it for what it is.
- A lot of people don't understand it and view it as something negative because of the extreme nature of it.
- It normally understood all points of view equally, but something seemed to be changing with it.
- Everything makes sense when you're little, because what you don't understand you invent an explanation for.
- I'm not sure I understood much about the situation in the region.
- What needs to be understood about the situation is that both leaders are hostage to their own constituencies.
- There's a sense that this guy is not quite understanding enough or sympathetic enough to the allies' point of view.
- One would believe that pain would be socially understood and somewhat sympathized with.
- In the case of Nora, I refused to start writing her as a character until I truly understood her.
- 2 (believe, infer) See examples: the president is understood to favor the second optionshe is understood to have said that …se cree que el presidente prefiere la segunda opciónI understand you play tennisparece que dijo que …I understood you'd changed jobstengo entendido que juega al tenisam I to understand that you won't help?creí que había cambiado de trabajoI was given to understand I'd get my money back¿entonces quiere decir que no me van a ayudar?she has let it be understood that …me dieron a entender que me devolverían el dinerosee also → understood2ha dado a entender que …
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to