transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (grasp meaning of) entender* there are several words I can't understand hay unas cuantas palabras que no entiendo I can't speak Italian, but I can understand it no hablo italiano pero lo entiendo I can make myself understood me puedo hacer entender I can't understand why he did it no logro entender or comprender por qué lo hizo you must understand that these things take time tiene que comprender or entender que estas cosas llevan tiempo I don't want it to happen again; have I made myself understood? no quiero que vuelva a suceder ¿está claro? now that we understand one another ahora que nos entendemosMore example sentences1.2 (interpret) entender*, interpretar her remark can be understood several ways su comentario se puede entender or interpretar de varias maneras I understood him to be saying something quite different por lo que yo entendí él dijo algo muy diferente please understand me correctly! por favor no me malinterpreten or no me interpreten mal as I understand it, … según tengo entendido, …, por lo que entiendo, …, según creo, … what do you understand by the term 'deprivation'? ¿qué entiendes tú por 'privaciones'?
More example sentences1.3 (sympathize, empathize with) [fears/doubts/person] comprender, entender* try to understand my position trata de comprender or entender mi situación nobody understands me! nadie me entiende or comprende, soy un incomprendido
- We knew that he had never been to school and yet he could speak so fluently and be understood by first language speakers.
- For the most part, speakers of different dialects can make themselves understood to speakers of other dialects.
- To top it all off, half of the actresses sound like they're trying to speak English without understanding a word of it.
More example sentences
- But Jack rejects this view and understands it for what it is.
- A lot of people don't understand it and view it as something negative because of the extreme nature of it.
- It normally understood all points of view equally, but something seemed to be changing with it.
More example sentences
- Everything makes sense when you're little, because what you don't understand you invent an explanation for.
- I'm not sure I understood much about the situation in the region.
- What needs to be understood about the situation is that both leaders are hostage to their own constituencies.
- There's a sense that this guy is not quite understanding enough or sympathetic enough to the allies' point of view.
- One would believe that pain would be socially understood and somewhat sympathized with.
- In the case of Nora, I refused to start writing her as a character until I truly understood her.
- 2 (believe, infer) the president is understood to favor the second option se cree que el presidente prefiere la segunda opción she is understood to have said that … parece que dijo que … I understand you play tennis tengo entendido que juega al tenis I understood you'd changed jobs creí que había cambiado de trabajo am I to understand that you won't help? ¿entonces quiere decir que no me van a ayudar? I was given to understand I'd get my money back me dieron a entender que me devolverían el dinero she has let it be understood that … ha dado a entender que … see also understood2
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, pinchos are small portions of food, often on a cocktail stick, eaten in a bar or cafe. Often free, they are similar to