Translation of understanding in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (grasp) entendimiento (masculine) a child's understanding is limited el entendimiento de un niño es limitado he has little/no understanding of the problem no comprende muy bien/para nada el problema we now have a better o greater understanding of it ahora lo entendemos or lo comprendemos mejorExample sentences1.2 (interpretation) interpretación (feminine) that's not my understanding of what he meant no es así como yo interpreto sus palabras your understanding of the law is not the same as mine su interpretación de la ley es distinta de la mía
Example sentences1.3 (sympathy) comprensión (feminine) these exchanges promote international understanding estos intercambios fomentan el entendimiento or la concordia entre las naciones
- It may not be until June or July of next year until a more comprehensive understanding of the problem is reached.
- He constantly strives to increase his abilities and his understanding of the obstacles around him.
- Our understanding of and ability to control quantum systems have never been so good.
- His understanding of the situation was that a fracas had spilled over from the field of play to where substitutes were sitting and they got involved.
- This has been an unfortunately brief, but crucial attempt at increasing our understanding of the situation we find ourselves in.
- My understanding of the situation regarding the region was also influenced by his work.
- They have shown no compassion, no understanding, no tolerance, and especially, no patience.
- Tolerance and understanding develops between Ruth and other members of the household.
- Every story he tells in some way teaches tolerance and understanding.
- 2 countable/numerable (agreement, arrangement) acuerdo (masculine) to come to o reach an understanding (with sb) llegar* a un acuerdo (con algn) to have an understanding (with sb) the traffickers have an understanding with the police los traficantes tienen un arreglo con la policía we had an understanding that we'd share the work habíamos convenido que compartiríamos el trabajoExample sentences
- How do we establish mutual agreements or common understandings while respecting diversity?
- They just do not come close to telling the whole story, since informal understandings and norms are crucial in determining outcomes.
- All was talk except for what mattered most, which were unspoken understandings.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable (belief) it was my understanding that I would get the job tenía entendido or creía que me darían el trabajo our understanding is that the offer has been rejected según tenemos entendido, han rechazado la oferta on the understanding that … bien entendido que, con la condición de que …
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.