Translation of unfortunate in Spanish:
- 1.1 (unlucky) [coincidence] desafortunado, desventurado [literary/literario] he has been very unfortunate ha tenido muy mala suerte the unfortunate girl had all her money stolen a la pobre chica le robaron todo el dinero I was unfortunate enough to catch a cold tuve la desgracia or la mala suerte de resfriarme it was unfortunate that the weather was so bad fue una pena que hiciera tan mal tiempo an unfortunate first marriage un desdichado or desgraciado primer matrimonio those unfortunate wretches huddled under bridges esos pobres desgraciados acurrucados bajo los puentesExample sentences
- There are psychos around, like there are anywhere and this poor person was unfortunate enough to be standing in front of a psycho who pushed him under a tube
- The work is spread fairly and in the public interest amongst a wide range of operators to the best requirements of those who are unfortunate enough to be in an accident.
- Like many others, he was unfortunate enough to lose a limb in a shooting accident but is bravely continuing with his chosen career of caring for his beloved hunting hounds.
Example sentences1.2 (unsuitable) [remark] desafortunado, inoportuno, poco feliz; [moment] inoportuno; [choice of words] desacertado, desafortunado, poco feliz; [tendency/habit] lamentable
- Lindsay had the unfortunate chance of meeting Izzy last year when she dropped off her Christmas present and Izzy had answered the door.
- The long chain of unfortunate events indicate that Taiwanese businesspeople can easily become targets of bandits in China.
- For the second successive weekend an unfortunate clash of fixtures will leave some of the York area's hardcore of match anglers with divided loyalties.
- ‘It is important to say the Navy regrets this unfortunate incident,’ said a spokesman for the Pacific Fleet.
- Firstly, I regret that this unfortunate incident occurred and reiterate our apology to Mrs Hill's family.
- ‘It's certainly an unfortunate incident that we regret,’ a White House spokesman told a news briefing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.