- 1.1 (not known) [surroundings/destination] desconocido; [country] desconocido, ignoto [formal] her whereabouts are unknown se desconoce su paradero the true story was unknown until recently la verdad se desconocía hasta hace poco the Unknown Soldier el soldado desconocido it is virtually unknown for anyone to refuse prácticamente nunca se niega nadieunknown
tosb that was unknown to me eso no lo sabía facts unknown to most of us hechos que la mayoría de nosotros desconocíamosMore example sentences1.2 (not famous) [writer/play/singer] desconocido she was completely unknown a year ago hace un año era una total desconocida
More example sentences
- But behind these familiar figures is an unknown Ganesha, whose origins lie deep in the subcontinent's prehistory.
- We fly and survey the familiar and yet unknown path below us and then we land and rest our eyes and minds and sun-seared souls.
- As Shawn and I were continuing our way to unknown territory, I spotted a familiar figure leaving some disco with a few other people.
- They are usually painted by nonacademic artists and unknown painters.
- The collection includes the famous as well as the not so famous and unknown artists too.
- So whether the production is large-scale or small, performed in London or Chichester, with famous or unknown actors is irrelevant to its success.
- 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (phenomenon, experience) the unknown lo desconocido a journey into the unknown un viaje a lo desconocido 1.2 countable/numerable [Mathematics/Matemáticas] incógnita (feminine)More example sentences1.3 countable/numerable (person) desconocido, (masculine, feminine)
More example sentences
- There is, however, work in progress concerning the numerical solution of linear equations with several unknowns using electrical circuits.
- He sets up the coefficients of the system of three linear equations in three unknowns as a table on a ‘counting board’.
- This leads to 5 linear equations in 5 unknowns and he refers the reader to an appendix containing Cramer's rule for their solution.
- More importantly for his reputation, the scientific world was bewildered that a relative unknown had out-thought and out-designed the world's finest minds.
- A decade ago, he was a relative unknown in a minority party.
- Indeed, with all the attention that has surrounded him of late, it's easy to forget that Fiennes was a relative unknown outside the West End five years ago.