Translation of uphold in Spanish:
transitive verb past tense & past participle upheld
- 1 (preserve)(tradition/custom)
conservar(faith/principle)he swore to uphold the Constitution
mantenerjuró respetar y defender la constituciónExample sentences
- As a teacher, he was conservative and upheld the traditional techniques of teaching.
- We shall continue to uphold the noble tradition upon which our church has been built.
- It helps keep the village running smoothly and upholds the village's customs.
- 2 (Law)(decision/verdict)the sentence was upheld on appeal
confirmarla sentencia fue confirmada en la apelaciónExample sentences
- The courts eventually upheld her claim to the property, but only because she had no son to inherit it.
- The release of the film could be halted if a plagiarism claim is upheld by a High Court judge next week.
- A recent Court of Appeal decision upheld an insurer's right to refuse a claim for theft because keys had been left in a car.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.