adjective before noun
- 1 1.1 (spatially, numerically)(jaw)the upper storeys
superiorlas plantas or los pisos superioresupper age limitlímite (masculine) (máximo) de edadtemperatures in the upper twentiestemperaturas de cerca de 30°C or de casi 30°Cthe upper tax bracketla banda impositiva más elevadaExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (in rank, importance)
- Place the cuff on your bare upper arm one-inch above the bend of your elbow.
- They arise when the water vapour from hot aircraft exhausts mixes with the cool air of the upper atmosphere, about 32,000 ft above the Earth's surface.
- Below it is a grand looking sofa that has large wooden arms at each side and an ornate square pattern that runs above the upper cushion.
(ranks/echelons)the upper chamber or upper house (Politics)
- These farmers are mostly uneducated but they take full advantage of the benefits they can derive from their upper caste status.
- By the start of next season, I want us to be pitching for a position at the upper end of the league table.
- Should we be struggling to improve women's position in the upper layers of the bourgeoisie, or should we be addressing the fundamental divisions within society?
más elevadola cámara alta
- 2 (Geography) the upper reaches of the Nilela parte alta del NiloUpper Silesiala Alta Silesiathe Upper Danubeel alto Danubioupper Manhattanel norte de ManhattanExample sentences
- The tour raises money for the Wesley Institute, an Upper St. Clair nonprofit organization that provides services to Southwestern Pennsylvania youths with mental health and behavioral challenges.
- John Maher, an Upper St. Clair Republican, said leaders ‘are aware of my desire for openness.’
- She worked in the music industry in Los Angeles for many years but recently moved back to an Upper East Side apartment, where she is trying to write a screenplay and buying vintage clothing and jewelry to resell on eBay.
- 1 (of shoe)(parte superior del calzado)leather uppers, man-made soleszapatos de cuero con suela sintéticato be (down) on one's uppers [colloquial]estar más pobre que las ratasExample sentences
- Gone are the thoughts of pure function, of rubber soles and leather uppers.
- I'm fortunate in having a decent cobbler nearby, so I can get boots reheeled until the uppers collapse.
- Down the side streets are specialized shops supplying this little industry - some sell bundles of shoelaces, others leather, and still others pre-made shoe uppers.
- 2also: uppers plural(US) (Dentistry)dentadura (feminine) postiza (superior)
- (drug) [slang]anfeta (feminine) [slang]Example sentences
- Information gleaned from this survey included age of onset of use of marijuana, cocaine, uppers, and LSD.
- Because monthly use of cocaine, uppers, and LSD is rare and infrequent among adolescents, annual estimates were employed to provide sufficient distribution for conducting meaningful analyses.
- Among drug users, abused youth were significantly younger than their nonabused peers in mean age of onset of marijuana, cocaine, and uppers use.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.