Translation of urge in Spanish:
- I was going to do it but I've lost the urgeganas (feminine plural)the creative urgelo iba a hacer pero se me han ido las ganassexual urgesel impulso creativo or creadorshe felt an/the urge to do something differentimpulsos (masculine plural) sexualeshe had a strong urge to punch himsentía la necesidad de hacer algo diferentehe managed to resist the urge to tell herle entraron unas ganas enormes de darle un puñetazohe got the urge to travellogró contener las ganas que tenía de decírselole entraron ganas de viajar
- (exhort)(entreat)to urge somebody to +pedir con insistencia
infinitivethey urged the government to take immediate actioninstar a alguien a que+ subjunctive[formal]pedirle aalguien con insistencia que+ subjunctivehe urged her to accept the postinstaron al gobierno a que tomara medidas inmediatas [formal]I urge you to reconsiderle pidió con insistencia que aceptara el puestoshe urged him to go backle pido encarecidamente que lo reconsidereshe needed no urgingle rogó que volviesehe urged acceptance/rejection of the offerno se hizo (de) rogarthey urged that it (should) be done immediatelyinsistió en que se aceptara/rechazara la ofertato urge somethinginsistieron en que se hiciera inmediatamente ono uponsomebodyhe urged on us the need for cautionrecalcarle algo aalguiennos recalcó la necesidad de actuar con cautelahizo hincapié en la necesidad de que actuáramos con cautelaExample sentences
- We urge him to persuade the president to help mediate the situation.
- If you don't quite see the point after the first one, I urge you to persist and everything will become clear.
- Officers urged her to press charges, but her family persuaded her not to.
- Finally, Mahan advocated and strongly urged the building of what he called an Isthmian canal.
- However, the organization establishes the following principles and strongly urges their adoption by other federations.
- In a recent newspaper column, Paul resurrects the medical care debate, and strongly urges the implementation of a socialist system of healthcare.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.