- 1 1.1 uncountable or countable/no numerable o numerable (especially American English/especialmente inglés norteamericano) (from work) vacaciones (fpl), licencia (f) (Col, Méx, RPl) ; (from studies) vacaciones (feminine plural) to be on vacation estar* de vacaciones (from work) estar* de vacaciones, estar* de licencia (Col, Méx, RPl) to take a vacation tomarse unas vacaciones he took his vacation in May se tomó or (in Spain also/en España también) cogió las vacaciones en mayo, se tomó la licencia en mayo (Col, Méx, RPl) I spent my vacation in Peru pasé las vacaciones or (in Mexico also/en México también) vacacioné en el Perú where did you spend your summer vacation? ¿dónde veraneaste? the long vacation (British English/inglés británico) las vacaciones de verano to go on vacation ir* or irse* de vacaciones (before noun/delante del nombre) [trip/camp/job] de vacaciones vacation home casa (feminine) de veraneo or de campo vacation resort centro (masculine) turísticoMore example sentences1.2 countable/numerable (of law courts) período (m) de inactividad, receso (m) (judicial) (Latin America/América Latina)
More example sentences
- I had seen the movie in Paris while on vacation over the holidays with my partner, Christopher.
- First, I have not been on vacation, I don't even know what a vacation is anymore.
- On vacation, I would check in with the office three or four times a day.
- During our university vacations, we took jobs as herds people in the Alps, running after cattle for three months out of the year and sleeping in rickety huts and stables.
- When I was at home for university vacations, he would sit listening to me intently, head tilted to one side, as I poured out all the problems of an average early twenty-something.
- I tended only to see them during University vacations - particularly Christmas.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (of building) [formal] evacuación (feminine) [formal], desalojo (masculine)More example sentences
- His vacation of the midfield also enabled Jamie Buchan to get back to his favoured position in midfield after a long spell at left back.
- On the vacation of the post, the senior masters assembled and discussed eligible candidates.
- He was again unopposed on the vacation of his seat.