Translation of vain in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 (self-admiring)Example sentences
- A man should be clean and confident in his appearance, but not vain or pretentious.
- This archbishop has, in my opinion, been a vain and self-aggrandising man throughout.
- She was the most arrogant, vain, self centred person I'd ever met.
- 2 (before noun, no comparative) 2.1 (futile)(hope/belief)2.2 (empty, worthless)(promise/words)Example sentences
Example sentences2.3in vain it was all in vain
- He was yelling and crying, reaching out desperately and uselessly past the restraining arms in a vain attempt to bring his friend back.
- There is irritating piped music, a vain attempt to drown out the background wind-pocket moan of the ventilation/heating system and generate some atmosphere perhaps.
- We took to channel hopping in the vain hope that something remotely interesting would catch our attention.
thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vaintodo fue en vanowho's taking my name in vain? [humorous]no tomarás el nombre de Dios en vano¿quién está hablando de mí?
- It's not a vain boast on the evidence of this season.
- This turn of events, this sad return after so many vain boasts, would have made a shamed recluse out of a normal human being.
- By and large I'm all for the right to speak your mind and give your opinion as long as it's of worth and not just some vain criticism thrown out for the sake of it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.