- 1 1.1 [Mech] válvula (feminine) inlet/outlet valve válvula (feminine) de entrada/salida 1.2 (on tire) válvula (feminine)More example sentences1.3 (on musical instrument) pistón (masculine)
More example sentences1.4 [Anatomy/Anatomía] válvula (feminine)
- The system is regulated by a height control valve which allows fluid to move between spheres to keep the car level.
- Its speed can be influenced by the waste-gate valve, which is controlled by the pressure-driven converter.
- Multifunctional tools, such as graders, require an electrical outlet and switches on the loader to control hydraulic diverter valves.
More example sentences
- The later introduction of valves extended the versatility of brass instruments to cover the full chromatic scale.
- For trumpeters the left hand acts merely as a clamp holding the instrument whilst the three valves are operated by fingers of the right hand.
- The soloists played on natural horns, instruments that have no valves and are not as powerful as their modern descendants.
- When crocodiles are completely submerged, the ears and nostrils are closed by valves, and the eyes covered by membranes.
- During pregnancy, hormones relax the muscles in your digestive tract, including the valve in the esophagus.
- If the heart valves can't open and close correctly, blood can't flow smoothly.
- 2 (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) [Electronics/Electrónica] válvula (feminine), lámpara (feminine)More example sentences
- You could even build a functional, if somewhat cumbersome, guitar amplifier with a hydraulic system replacing transistors or valves.
- Equipped with transistors instead of valves, it could be operated for 80 hours on four hearing aid batteries, costing 2s 6d each.
- Silicon chips transformed the then slowly evolving world of electrical circuits and valves to the vibrant and fast developing world of electronics.
- 3 (of shellfish) valva (feminine)More example sentences
- The brachiopods from the limestone unit are mostly preserved as shells, most with valves conjoined.
- The two shell valves would have been rigidly fixed in place, and the dorsal margin could not have been more than a poorly elastic structure, if that.
- Note that each shell valve is symmetrical about the midline, but the two shell valves are often unequal in size.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Did you know that the primary meaning of almuerzo is lunch? It is used only in this sense in most of Latin America. In Spain and Mexico, where comida is the usual word for lunch, almuerzo can also be a mid-morning snack.