- 1 (basement) wine vaultExample sentences
- In recent years the British Museum the V&A and the Dulwich Picture Gallery have all reported losses from open displays or storage vaults.
- The diary sent to the storage vaults of the museum, hidden from the outside world, all but forgotten.
- There is a theory that the wine cellar could have been a Bulgarian invention, because monks in the country were said to have been the first people to store wine in cool vaults deep underground.
- 2 (strongroom)Example sentences
- The bullion was never returned and officials believe it is now stored in the vaults of the Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi.
- Some ‘investments’, such as gem stones, are often said to be stored in Swiss bank vaults, so you can never see them.
- The silver and gold bullion is stored in underground treasury vaults at Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
- 3 (crypt) the family vaultel panteón familiarExample sentences
- By the time his body was laid to rest in the family vault in Paddington Old Churchyard in August 1780, he appears to have been impoverished and did not leave a will.
- He was buried in the family vault in the church at Bawdsey, Suffolk.
- That stone up there has guarded the entrance to the burial vault at West Kennet Long Barrow for 4000 years.
- 4 (Architecture) the vault of heaven [literary]Example sentences
- Gothic architecture has a particular look: the pointed or ogival arch, ribbed vaults, rose windows, towers, and tremendous height in the nave, supported by flying buttresses.
- There is a noticeable acoustic difference between a church with a wooden roof and a similar building with a stone vault, as many choristers will testify.
- The formerly dark space is now transformed by a series of flowing vaults terminating in a new, open family room.
- saltar (apoyándose en algo)he vaulted over the fencesaltó (por encima de) la cercaExample sentences
- With the Senators seemingly moments away from a victory in their final game, hordes of fans began vaulting over the retaining walls and proceeded to swarm the playing field.
- The driver vaulted over the road divider and came and shook Anand's hand.
- Cade vaulted over the rail to retrieve the ball.
- 1 (leap)Example sentences
- Hatch didn't get her usual height or distance on her vault, and she also took a step after her landing.
- Attempting a vault, her right foot missed the springboard and she crashed head first at full speed into the horse.
- I had to wait for nearly two hours in that heat to take my first vault and that drained some of my energy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.