- 1.1 (church attendant) sacristán (masculine)More example sentences1.2 (in procession) (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) macero, (masculine, feminine)
More example sentences
- A city centre church verger has the power to summon scores of police and dozens of security guards at the touch of a button.
- Mr Angus had joined the Minster staff in October 1980 as part of a team of vergers who help with the day-to-day running of the cathedral.
- A verger accidentally locked up without realising that Mr Poole, a former chief general manager with the Norwich Building Society, was still inside.
- I was the last verger of the Garrison Church and took part in the final service.
- Church officials gave more details yesterday about a popular verger who plunged more than 100 ft to his death from York Minster on Sunday.
- Only the old verger allows himself no rest, and still rings the service in and out.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.