Translation of vest in Spanish:
- 1 (waistcoat) (US) (before noun) vest pocketbolsillo (masculine) del chalecoExample sentences
- He settled on a conservative gray jacket with a darker vest beneath it.
- The only decent thing he wore was the sturdy red vest, almost a sleeveless jacket, with black embroidery at the neck and arm holes.
- After a couple of outfits, Sara decided on a sleeveless leather vest and a loose wrap skirt and broad belt.
- 2 (undergarment) (British)Example sentences
- The appeal is now in its final week and priority should be given to the gift donation of vests, warm undergarments, toiletries and socks.
- The major contributions include vests, warm undergarments, warm socks and toiletries.
- They go with everything, look good with a sun tan, can be used as vests under shirts if the weather turns cold and can be slipped on over a swimming costume if the sun gets too strong.
- [formal]to vest somebody
withsomethinginvestir a alguienhe was vested with special powers deor conalgo [formal]fue investido de or con poderes especiales [formal]to vest something insomebodyconferirle algothe authority vested in a judge aalguienla autoridad conferida a un juezExample sentences
- Article II vested the executive power of the federal government in a president and vice president, both elected for four-year terms by specially chosen electors.
- An Arab diplomat, going further, said Arab countries would oppose vesting any authority in the Governing Council.
- He is the rightful representative of the people of Florida and he is the chief executive, in whom the power is vested to execute the law and protect the rights of citizens.
- During inauguration, the president is vested with the power and authority of the office.
- Because my theory is that individuals are vested with enormous powers that tend to threaten the state.
- The civic bodies must be given the task of local distribution and could also be vested with the powers to award the local distribution contracts, provided there is a foolproof mechanism for quality control.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.