- 1 (physical force) violencia (feminine) to use violence hacer* uso de la fuerza or de la violencia he threatened me with violence me amenazó con recurrir a la violencia a rise in levels of violence una escalada de violencia robbery with violence [Law/Derecho] robo (masculine) (con fuerza or violencia) to do violence to sth distorsionar algoMore example sentences
- The most serious incidents include criminal damage and violence against people.
- What I do not respect however is people who kill or otherwise use violence against people for any reason.
- One act of violence against another is an act of violence against one's self.
- 2 (of storm, reaction, emotion) violencia (feminine)More example sentences
- No blood is spilled in the book - but its emotional violence is devastating.
- Alarmed by the violence of her sorrow and by being a witness to it, but impatient with the sorrow itself, Ray was a poor pacifier.
- The violence of the wind had lessened - though the air remained redolent with the smell of dust.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Senado is the name of the upper chamber of the Spanish Cortes Generales, and the place where it meets. There are 250 senators, most of whom are elected every four years, at general elections, four from each province. A small number of senators are also elected by the autonomous governments.