Translation of volley in Spanish:
- 1(of shots)
descarga (feminine) (cerrada)(of protests, blows)a volley of abuse
lluvia (feminine)una sarta or retahíla de insultosa volley of applauseuna salva de aplausosExample sentences
- Normal war tactics involved massed ranks of lightly armed or armoured archers firing large volleys of arrows into formations of targets.
- Royal Marines fired three volleys over the grave at the interment.
- The archers obeyed and sent a volley of arrows onto the heads of the enemy.
- Maybe lesser mortals would have been put off by the volley of abuse he directed at her but in the end she triumphed, aided and abetted by passers by and stallholders.
- My poor buddy didn't know what she had done wrong and could only stare in bewilderment at the volley of words being directed at her.
- Drunken hecklers were a different matter: the only way to handle them was to unleash a volley of abuse, humbling them with a few crushing put-downs.
- 2 (Sport) on the volley(in tennis)
de volea(in soccer)
en el aireExample sentences
- The challenges included running, catching, balancing tennis balls on rackets and practising ground strokes and volleys.
- He has won each of his first eight service points with a mixture of aces, volleys and ground strokes.
- The Liverpool striker scored with a volley that took the breath away.
- He chipped the ball over the head of a defender before volleying the ball to the back of the net from inside the penalty area.
- Once you have mastered this routine, work on repeating the drill but volley each ball.
- Instead of volleying the ball he would score goals in training with his knees.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.