Translation of waist in Spanish:
- 1.1 [Anatomy/Anatomía] (waistline) cintura (feminine), talle (masculine); (distance from shoulder to waistline) talle (masculine) the skirt is too tight around the waist la falda le ( or me etc) queda apretada de cintura or talle he only comes up to my waist solo me llega a la cintura to be stripped to the waist estar* desnudo de la cintura para arriba she has a short waist es corta de talle (before noun/delante del nombre) waist measurement (medida (feminine) de) cintura (feminine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (of garment) talle (masculine) a dress with a high waist un vestido de talle alto
- I plaited her hair so that it fell in one long rope of yellow to her narrow waist.
- A set-in waistband hints at a waist, while the flared hemline softens a boxy shape.
- Swimmers with this body type are more muscular, thick-chested with broad shoulders and a smaller waist.
Example sentences1.3 (of ship, aircraft) sección (feminine) central
- By this means we are told that waists can be reduced, flat chests inflated, hips broadened and lungs strengthened, to say nothing of reducing weight.
- Ancient statues have been found of men and women with 10-inch (!) waists!
- How lovely to think that even those with 24-inch waists will be forced to cover them up from now on.
Example sentences1.4 (of guitar, violin) parte (feminine) estrecha
- My jeans have an elastic waist and pockets on the side and larger ones below my knees.
- Pin your creation on your shoulder, at the waist, on a hat or handbag, even on a cuff at the wrist.
- Drawstring pants with elastic in the waist allow for a closer fit with added flexibility.
- She is 60 ft long and sleeps 10-four in the bow, four in the stern and two in the waist of the ship.
- He stood nonchalantly next to the quarter-deck rail looking into the waist.
- Kennedy entered the waist from below decks reaching his hand down the companion to assist her up the steep stairs!
- Wellington, a long almond biscuit, rounded at each end with a narrower waist.
- The flats currently used appear to be about 0.04 inch too narrow at the waist and 0.04 inch too long.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The language of the Basque Country and Navarre is euskera, spoken by around 750,000 people; in Spanish vasco or vascuence. It is also spelled euskara. Basque is unrelated to the Indo-European languages and its origins are unclear.