Translation of wait in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 I waited (for) hoursI'll wait until tomorrowestuve horas esperandoesperé horaswait until he asks youesperaré hasta mañanahe kept me waiting all afternoonespera (a) que él te preguntesorry to keep you waitingme tuvo toda la tarde esperandome hizo esperar toda la tardehe loves to keep people waiting just you wait!perdón por hacerlo esperarto wait and seewe'll have to wait and see¡ya vas a ver!I'll win: just you wait and seehabrá que esperar a ver qué pasaI can't wait to go on vacationvoy a ganar, ya (lo) verásI can't wait to see his faceno veo la hora de irme de vacacionesshoe repairs while you waitme muero de ganas de ver la cara que poneto wait to +se arregla calzado en el acto
infinitiveshe's waiting to see the doctorI'm waiting to see his reactionestá esperando para ver al médicoto waitestoy esperando a ver cómo reacciona forsomething/somebodyI'm waiting for a bus/friendesperar algo/a alguienI'll wait for you at the stationestoy esperando el autobús/a un amigowell, what are you waiting for?te espero en la estaciónto wait¿(a) qué esperas?¿(a) qué estás esperando? forsomebody/something to + infinitivethey're just waiting for him to dieesperar ( a) quealguien/algo + subjunctiveto waitestán esperando (a) que se muera onsomething/somebody (to + infinitive)I'm waiting on a call from New York I'm just waiting on my boss to retire1.2 (be postponed)estoy esperando (a) que se jubile mi jefe(business/repairs)is it urgent, or can it wait?¿es urgente o puede esperar?
- 2 (serve) See examples:to wait
onsomebodyto wait on a tableatender a alguiento wait at table (British English)atender una mesa→ hand 1 2servir a la mesaExample sentences
- Seneca ridiculed a wealthy man because he kept a handsome slave who was dressed like a woman when he waited at table.
- He was one of the footmen who waited at table.
- If the truth be known, waiting tables was my only income.
- 1 (await) See examples: to wait one's chanceI'm waiting my chance to get my own backesperar la oportunidadyou have to wait your turnestoy esperando la oportunidad de desquitarmetienes que esperar (a) que te toque
- 2 (delay) [colloquial]don't wait dinner for meno me esperen para cenarExample sentences
- Signing Dillon to a long-term deal is a priority, but it will wait until the off season.
- Postpone those decisions that can wait until you feel more able to deal with them.
- Subtitled ‘another side of Cirque du Soleil,’ this one'll have to wait till the kids are in bed.
- He'd kept everything warm in the oven for her and Ashton agreed to wait dinner on her as he wasn't hungry.
- to wait about/around
- to wait behind (
- (not go out)
- 1.1 (await ending of) See examples: to wait out a crisis/storm
- 1.1 (not go to bed) See examples:to wait up (
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.