Translation of want in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (require, desire) what do you want?¿qué quieres?what do you want this for?¿para qué quieres esto?is there anything you want?¿se le ofrece algo? [formal](it's) just what I('ve) always wanted!
¿deseaba algo? [formal]¡(es) justo lo que quería!I want my daddy!¡quiero que venga mi papá!the boss wants youel jefe te quiere ver or quiere hablar contigohe's wanted on the phonehay una llamada para élI know when I'm not wanted!
lo llaman por teléfonosé muy bien cuando estoy de másI want it done todayquiero que se haga hoyshe wants it ready todayquiere que esté listo hoydoes he want the book back?¿quiere que le devuelvan ( or le devolvamos etc) el libro?I wouldn't want him for a father-in-lawno quisiera tenerlo de or como suegrowhat do you want as a birthday present?¿qué quieres de regalo de cumpleaños?everything you could want from a cartodo lo que se le puede pedir a un cochewhat does he want with an electric guitar?¿qué va a hacer con una guitarra eléctrica?to want to +
¿para qué quiere una guitarra eléctrica?
infinitivequerer +they only want to help infinitivesolo quieren ayudarshe can be charming when she wants to (be)es un encanto cuando quiere or cuando se lo proponethe car doesn't want to start to want somebody/something to + infinitivequererwhat do you want me to do/say? quealguien/algo + subjunctive¿qué quieres que haga/diga?we want the party to be a successqueremos que la fiesta sea un éxitoto want somebody/something -ingquererhe doesn't want them snooping around quealguien/algo + subjunctiveno quiere que anden husmeando por allíExample sentences
- Rosa said that although she does not want to drop the charges, she cannot handle the pressures of the situation anymore and wants out of the Army.
- Like Dillon, he wants out of his current situation.
- Never thrusting himself upon the crowd, but quietly allowing people to find him, he had a confidence in his own ability to judge who and what he wants out of every situation.
(police)wanted he is wanted for murder
- The whole lot wants digging up and replacing with a small roundabout like it should have been since day one.
buscarlo buscan por asesinatoshe is wanted for questioningla buscan para interrogarlaExample sentences1.3 (as price for something) how much does she want for the picture?
¿cuánto pide por el cuadro?Example sentences1.4 (person) (sexually)
- He was named as wanted by Bedfordshire Police in 1998 in connection with the murder of Mr Farrow.
- There are around 700 bail dodgers in Bolton who are wanted by police on outstanding warrants.
- She is known to have had a relationship with a homeless man who was wanted by police in connection with a stolen credit card.
- So when it came to choosing her object of desire, she wanted an attractive object with a practical side.
- He takes a risk because he thinks he can get away with it because the facts may well turn out to support his editor's desire and he wants a quiet life and to be obliging.
- Feel the heat of desire, forget wanting a new car.
- I've always tried to please him with the clothes I buy but him not wanting me sexually I find very hurtful.
- So Kathy is reduced to tears of frustration as she waits to see whether Anna wants her as a sexual partner.
- 2 (need) the garage wants a coat of paintal garaje le hace falta or el garaje necesita una mano de pinturathat child wants a good thrashinga ese niño le hace falta una buena palizayou'll want your umbrellavas a necesitar or te va a hacer falta el paraguasgardener wantedse necesita or se precisa jardinerowe all like to feel wanteda todos nos gusta sentir que nos necesitanyou want a number 65 bustiene que tomar el 65you want the second door on the rightes la segunda puerta a la derechathe last thing I want is a coldmaldita la falta que me hace resfriarme ahorathere's Meg — that's all I wanted!ahí viene Meg — ¡lo (único or último) que me faltaba!you want to see a doctor/to stop smokingtienes que ver a un médico/dejar de fumaryou want to be more careful!¡a ver si tienes más cuidado!you want to see the mess he's made!¡tendrías que ver el desastre que ha hecho!to want
-ingthe house wants cleaninghay que limpiar la casatell me what wants doingdime qué hay que hacerthe referee wants his eyes testing (British English) [colloquial]el árbitro va a tener que ir al oculista
- 1 countable or uncountable (requirement, need) their wants are fewnecesitan pocoto be in want of something
sus necesidades son pocastener necesidad de algoExample sentences
- Men, he claimed, are in want of youth, good skin and lustrous hair.
- The broken roof tiles seen through the grilled door say the area is in want of care.
- The story goes that the handsome prince, in want of a wife, invited all the girls in the land to a ball.
- 2 uncountable (lack, absence) to feel the want of something/somebodysentir la falta de algo/alguienfor want of somethinga falta de algofor want of anything better to doa falta de algo mejor que hacerfor want of a better worda falta de una palabra más apropiadaif she doesn't become champion, it won't be for want of trying
por así decirlosi no llega a ser campeona, no será porque no lo haya intentado
- (lack) [formal] (usually with negative) you/they will want for nothing
- 1.1 (wish to join)to want in (
- 1.1 (wish to quit)to want out (
no te/les faltará nada
con esas condiciones, mi empresa no va a estar interesadathere's a poker game tonight: do you want in?
esta noche hay una partida de póquer ¿te apuntas? [colloquial]1.2 (wish to enter)
no me sorprende que los accionistas quieran deshacerse de las accionesI want out of this relationship
quiero terminar con esta relaciónseveral countries want out of the alliance
varios países quieren salir de la alianza1.2 (wish to go out)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.