Translation of war in Spanish:
nouncountable and uncountable
- during the (19)14-18 wardurante la guerra del 14the War of Independencela Guerra de la IndependenciaFirst/Second World War,, World War I/IIPrimera/Segunda Guerra Mundiala holy waruna guerra santato be at war with somebody/somethingestar en guerra con alguien/algoto wage warhacer la guerrato declare war on somebody/somethingdeclararle la guerra a alguien/algoto go to war (with somebody) (over something)entrar en guerra (con alguien) (por algo)an act of warun acto bélico or de guerrathe war on crime/povertyla lucha contra la delincuencia/la pobrezaa war of nervesuna guerra de nerviosa war of words has broken outha empezado una discusiónthe class warla lucha de clasesto be in the warsyou look as if you've been in the wars!¡parece que vienes de la guerra!war deadmuertos (masculine plural) de guerrawar refugeerefugiado (-da) (masculine, feminine) de guerrawar veteranveterano (-na) (masculine, feminine) de guerra
intransitive verb present participle warring past tense, past participle warred
- [literary] (usually in -ing form)batallar [literary]Example sentences
- Every emotion he'd ever known warred within his head and gut, twisting his insides about with sickening force.
- As both books well demonstrate, the organizations warred with each other as much as they worked against a common enemy.
- Frustration and uncertainty had warred within him as he awaited Jerry's arrival home.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.