Translation of warn in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (admonish) advertir* I'm warning you! ¡te lo advierto! you have been warned! ¡(recuerda que) te lo he advertido!, ¡quedas or estás avisado or advertido! be warned! ¡cuidado! he's been warned about his bad language before ya se le ha llamado la atención por su vocabularioto warn sb not to +
infinitive/infinitivowe had been warned not to go nos habían advertido que no fuéramos I warn you not to try my patience too far te lo advierto: no me hagas perder la pacienciaExample sentences1.2 (inform, advise) avisar, advertir* I did warn you (that) I might be late te avisé or te advertí que quizás llegaría tarde we'd been warned to expect trouble ya nos habían avisado or advertido que habría problemas he warned me about the danger me advirtió del peligro they were warned about the rats les advirtieron que había ratas to warn sb
- Police are warning drivers to remain cautious today after a winter storm dumped as much as 14 inches of snow on parts of eastern Virginia.
- Whatever the reason, Shuggy's behaviour eventually prompted a police caution, warning him that if he didn't calm down then he would be in serious trouble.
- Police are warning the public to be cautious when opening their door to strangers.
againststh/sb prevenir* a algn contraalgo/algn I was warned against them me previnieron contra ellos we were warned against swimming in the river nos aconsejaron que no nadáramos en el río, nos advirtieron que era peligroso nadar en el ríoExample sentences
- The report also warned of the dangers of failing to improve the lot of ordinary Iraqis.
- It was a habit left over from the old days when the king and his ministers were thus warned of danger.
- Because of the possible dangers we are warning customers not to use them.
warn off verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento (frighten away) I began making inquiries, but I was warned off in no uncertain terms empecé a hacer averiguaciones, pero me advirtieron claramente que no continuara 1.1verb + object + preposition + object/verbo + complemento + preposición + complemento he warned us off his land nos advirtió que nos fuéramos de su propiedad I tried to warn him off drugs traté de prevenirlo sobre las consecuencias del uso de las drogas
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.