Translation of warn in Spanish:
- 1 (admonish) I'm warning you!¡te lo advierto!you have been warned!¡(recuerda que) te lo he advertido!, ¡quedas or estás avisado or advertido!be warned!¡cuidado!he's been warned about his bad language beforeya se le ha llamado la atención por su vocabularioto warn somebody not to +
infinitivewe had been warned not to gonos habían advertido que no fuéramosI warn you not to try my patience too farte lo advierto: no me hagas perder la pacienciaExample sentences
- Police are warning drivers to remain cautious today after a winter storm dumped as much as 14 inches of snow on parts of eastern Virginia.
- Whatever the reason, Shuggy's behaviour eventually prompted a police caution, warning him that if he didn't calm down then he would be in serious trouble.
- Police are warning the public to be cautious when opening their door to strangers.
- 2 (inform, advise) I did warn you (that) I might be latete avisé or te advertí que quizás llegaría tardewe'd been warned to expect troubleya nos habían avisado or advertido que habría problemashe warned me about the dangerme advirtió del peligrothey were warned about the ratsles advirtieron que había ratasto warn somebody
againstsomething/somebodyprevenir a alguienI was warned against them contraalgo/alguienme previnieron contra elloswe were warned against swimming in the rivernos aconsejaron que no nadáramos en el río
nos advirtieron que era peligroso nadar en el ríoExample sentences
- The report also warned of the dangers of failing to improve the lot of ordinary Iraqis.
- It was a habit left over from the old days when the king and his ministers were thus warned of danger.
- Because of the possible dangers we are warning customers not to use them.
- 1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object (frighten away) I began making inquiries, but I was warned off in no uncertain terms
empecé a hacer averiguaciones, pero me advirtieron claramente que no continuara2verb + object + preposition + objecthe warned us off his land
nos advirtió que nos fuéramos de su propiedadI tried to warn him off drugs
traté de prevenirlo sobre las consecuencias del uso de las drogas
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.