Translation of waste in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (of fuel, materials) a waste of timeuna pérdida de tiempoit's a waste of moneyes tirar el dinerodon't you think it's a waste of space?¿no te parece que estás desperdiciando or desaprovechando espacio?a waste of effortun esfuerzo inútilit's a waste of breath trying to make him see reasontratar de que entre en razón es gastar saliva inútilmentethe waste of food here is dreadfules espantoso cómo tiran aquí la comidathere is no waste in this hameste jamón no tiene desperdiciowe can save money by avoiding wastepodemos economizar evitando los despilfarrosshe's working as a waitress: it's such a waste!trabaja de camarera: ¡qué desperdicio!to go to waste (talent)desperdiciarse(food)he let his talent go to waste
echarse a perderdesperdició su talentoExample sentences
- Elections even at a state level cost money and both parties wish to avoid an unnecessary waste of money by contesting in an election that they will lose.
- It was an inappropriate appointment, in that it was clearly a dismal waste of his extravagant talents.
- We went for a weekend, which on the face of it sounds like an extravagant waste of time, but was actually painlessly good fun.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (refuse)residuos (masculine plural)human waste
desechos (masculine plural)excrementos (masculine plural)2.2 (surplus matter)material (masculine) sobrante or de desechoExample sentences
- A nearly inert material, concrete is suitable as a medium for recycling waste or industrial by-products.
- Many are turned into cesspools and dumping sites for solid waste, including hazardous materials.
- Americans are right to refuse truckloads of garbage that contain biomedical waste and radioactive material.
- 1 (misuse, squander)(time)
perder(opportunity/chance)he has wasted his life
desperdiciarha desperdiciado su vidawe wasted a lot of time arguingperdimos mucho tiempo discutiendoyou're wasting my timeme estás haciendo perder el tiempohe didn't waste any time (in) cashing the checkse fue a cobrar el cheque sin perder (ni) un minutoyou're wasting your breath!estás gastando saliva inútilmenteyour work won't be wastedtu trabajo no ha sido en vanoto waste something
onsomebody/something/ -inghe's wasted a fortune on cars/(on) eating outha derrochado una fortuna en coches/comiendo en restaurantesdon't waste your time on themno pierdas el tiempo con ellosthe irony was wasted on herno captó la ironíaExample sentences
- In the latter case the holding of the meeting would have served no useful purpose and would merely waste the available assets of the bankrupt's estate.
- Electricity from excess illumination wastes an enormous amount of energy needlessly.
- Here he argued that Russians themselves did not want to make peace with Napoleon, and consequently Britain had no purpose in wasting its gold to invoke mutual hatred.
- There was no way I could stand another year in Andrews in my pathetic job which wasted my talents.
- He really is one of those guys who is wasted at his current job.
- He is likewise wasted as a curly-haired dad whose sole job seems to be hugging his daughter.
- 2 (enfeeble)(strength)
- 3also: wasted past participle3.1 (misused, futile)(time/money)
perdido(effort)it was a wasted journey
inútilfue un viaje en balde3.2 (shrunken)(body)
atrofiado(British English) [colloquial]to get wasted
- 5 (kill)(American English) [slang]
cargarse [colloquial]Example sentences
- Each of you wasted a person who was infinitely more talented than you, and for what?
- But now the military's fresh faces can get a bit of the comforts of home - by wasting their pals in an online game.
- But nobody ever pulls out a grenade launcher and wastes the guy with the battle ax.
- 1.1 (squander) waste not, want notquien no malgasta no pasa necesidades1.2→ waste away
- 1 (ground) (barren)(not cultivated) baldíoto lay waste the town was laid waste by the rebels
sin cultivarlos rebeldes arrasaron la ciudadExample sentences
- Adding a 15m telephone mast and all its associated equipment would further make this waste area even more of an eyesore.
- Eighteen months ago, two factories on North Road were closed down and demolished, leaving a waste area which has become a dump.
- She knew he smoked in the waste area where the youths hung out and when he came home his clothes reeked of the weed.
- 2 2.1 (discarded)(gas)
de desechomateria (feminine) de desechowaste products (industrial)productos (masculine plural) de desecho(Physiology)waste water 2.2 (leftover, excess)
excrementos (masculine plural)(paper/rubber)waste heat generated during the chemical reaction
sobranteel calor disipado durante la reacción químicaExample sentences
- They were taught how to make useful products out of waste paper, at a training programme held recently.
- The lungs also contribute to this process by eliminating carbon dioxide which is the waste byproduct of glucose and lactic acid metabolism.
- They can be made with simple materials such as waste paper.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.