Translation of weed in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (wild plant)he's shot up like a weed (American English)ha pegado un estirónExample sentences1.2 uncountable (aquatic growth)
algas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- Write down which plants were infected with diseases and where the weeds grew most.
- Typically, herbicides are applied only to the strip of ground directly under the vine, and weeds growing between the rows are controlled by cultivation or mowing.
- There are several small varieties that grow wild as weeds in North America.
- The weed impedes water's natural flow and can destroy native communities of aquatic plants and animals.
- There's plenty of weed growing around them, and although not particularly pleasant to look at, among its folds you will see plenty of hovering juvenile pike.
- The west bank is more sandy and shallow with weed growing, and the opposite bank more rocky and deeper.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (marijuana) [slang] 2.2 (tobacco) [slang] [dated]the weedel cigarrilloExample sentences
- You may have heard it called marijuana, weed or hash but it is still cannabis, a natural drug that comes from a plant.
- He never touched weed, cocaine or anything else.
- On Villa Road there are kids selling crack, weed and cocaine.
- But the first time these two came into contact with each other, they had to share the spotlight with, yes, the weed, tobacco.
- Do addicts of the demon weed, tobacco, experience increased pleasure from life as a result of smoking tobacco?
- 3 countable (feeble person)(British English) [colloquial]Example sentences
- ‘I have always been a bit of a weed, to be honest, and I am always being told to try weight training and go to a gym,’ he said.
- ‘Well, some thought he was a bit of a weed, but he doesn't come around anymore,’ he quipped.
- (garden/flowerbed)sacar los yuyos de (River Plate area)Example sentences
- Once an area is weeded, a deep mulch will go some way towards stopping weeds from reappearing.
- The group cleared and cleaned the pond, weeded the area, pruned the shrubs, fertilised the soil and planted out bedding plants.
- I'd worked through worse weather weeding the fields and it wasn't that cold.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.