Translation of weed in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (wild plant)hierbajo (masculine)he's shot up like a weed (American English)
mala hierba (feminine)
yuyo (masculine) (River Plate area)
maleza (feminine) (Latin America)ha pegado un estirónExample sentences1.2 uncountable (aquatic growth)
algas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- Write down which plants were infected with diseases and where the weeds grew most.
- Typically, herbicides are applied only to the strip of ground directly under the vine, and weeds growing between the rows are controlled by cultivation or mowing.
- There are several small varieties that grow wild as weeds in North America.
- The weed impedes water's natural flow and can destroy native communities of aquatic plants and animals.
- There's plenty of weed growing around them, and although not particularly pleasant to look at, among its folds you will see plenty of hovering juvenile pike.
- The west bank is more sandy and shallow with weed growing, and the opposite bank more rocky and deeper.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (marijuana) [slang]Example sentences2.2 (tobacco) [slang] [dated]the weed
el cigarrilloExample sentences
- You may have heard it called marijuana, weed or hash but it is still cannabis, a natural drug that comes from a plant.
- He never touched weed, cocaine or anything else.
- On Villa Road there are kids selling crack, weed and cocaine.
- But the first time these two came into contact with each other, they had to share the spotlight with, yes, the weed, tobacco.
- Do addicts of the demon weed, tobacco, experience increased pleasure from life as a result of smoking tobacco?
- 3 countable (feeble person)(British English) [colloquial]
alfeñique (masculine)Example sentences
- ‘I have always been a bit of a weed, to be honest, and I am always being told to try weight training and go to a gym,’ he said.
- ‘Well, some thought he was a bit of a weed, but he doesn't come around anymore,’ he quipped.
desmalezar (Latin America)
sacar los yuyos de (River Plate area)Example sentences
- Once an area is weeded, a deep mulch will go some way towards stopping weeds from reappearing.
- The group cleared and cleaned the pond, weeded the area, pruned the shrubs, fertilised the soil and planted out bedding plants.
- I'd worked through worse weather weeding the fields and it wasn't that cold.
- 1.1 (remove from ground) 1.2 (reject)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.