Translation of weight in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable and countable (mass, heaviness) it's sold by weightse vende al peso or por pesojust feel the weight of ittómale el pesothe bag is 5kg in weightla bolsa pesa 5kgwhat weight are you? what's its weight in pounds?¿cuánto pesa en libras?it's quite a weightes bastante pesadowhat a weight!¡qué pesado!cloth of winter/summer weighttela (feminine) de invierno/veranoto gain o put on weightengordarto lose weight
subir de pesoadelgazarshe put all her weight on the lever
perder pesoempujó la palanca con todas sus fuerzasdon't put any weight on that tableno pongas nada de peso sobre esa mesato take the weight of somethingsoportar or aguantar el peso de algothe chair won't take your weightla silla no te va a aguantar or no va a aguantar tu pesosit down, take the weight off your feetsiéntate y descansa un pocothat has taken a weight off my mindeso me ha sacado un peso de encimato be worth one's weight in gold to pull one's weighteveryone will have to pull their weightcada uno tendrá que poner de su parte para sacar el trabajo adelanteJohn isn't pulling his weightJohn no trabaja como deberíato throw one's weight aroundmandonear [colloquial]to throw one's weight behind something
prepotear (River Plate area) [colloquial]apoyar algo con dedicaciónExample sentences
- A specific body weight was not strived for.
- I thought I'd translate my weight from stones to pounds.
- His weight has risen massively and his body has ballooned.
- I crept around my apartment, the floor under my warm beige carpet creaking under my weight with each step that I took.
- She stopped, noticing that the wooden planks were giving in to her weight, creaking dangerously.
- He took a step on the platform, his weight causing a loud creak, and froze.
- 2 uncountable (importance, value) the weight of evidenceel peso de las pruebasto lend/add weight to somethingdarle más peso a algohis views don't carry much weight with herella no respeta mucho sus opinionesto give due weight to something
para ella sus opiniones no cuentan muchodarle la debida importancia a algoExample sentences
- Any extended treatment of the subject of empire that does not give full weight to the fact that human beings do not want to be ruled by foreigners is worth very little.
- Above all, it is necessary to give full weight to the provisions of Article 5 as a whole.
- Shakespeare's biographers now give full weight to material sidelined by earlier scholars.
- 3 3.1 countable (unit) weights and measurespesos y medidas3.2 uncountable (system)Example sentences3.3 countable (for scales, clocks) an 8-oz weight
una pesa de 8 onzasExample sentences
- It is very important that farmers selling livestock and other products start to think in terms of the metric system of weights and measures such as kilos and litres.
- Elaborated between 1790 and 1799, the decimal metric system of weights and measures was zealously promoted under Napoleon.
- Equally of interest at the exhibition are the charts listing the different quantities and units used for weights and measures in this land.
Example sentences3.4 countable (heavy object) (Sport) you mustn't lift heavy weights
- Abu Ammar pondered this a moment as he put the bags on the old brass scale and adjusted the weights.
- There is a set of scales with weights, a rolling pin, a round spice tin, a wooden potato masher, and a butter cooler.
- People had to carry the scales, accompanying weights, and sometimes even tools to cut the metal, just to be able to transact.
no debe levantar cosas pesadasExample sentences
- We come across bright ideas in books, like over-length lines passed through pulleys under floats and the excess taken up by counter-balancing weights.
- Basically it's a series of counterbalanced weights which moves the camera's centre of gravity away from the operator whilst still allowing them to perform camera moves.
- ‘Um, he and Robbie went to the mall with Tommy,’ I replied, stacking the weights on the counter.
- The sections were forced to march distances of up to 8km over night to reach stand locations carrying weights in excess of 35 kg.
- Press under kitchen weights and let sit overnight at room temperature.
- I favor lighter weights and dumbbells to develop balance, control and coordination.
- We also worked out with weights and used treadmills and stationary bicycles.
- It doesn't matter how many weights or fitness regimes I do.
- 1.1 (make heavier)darle peso a(fishing net)1.2 (in statistics) (often passive) weighted average
lastrarmedia (feminine) ponderada (feminine)weighted indexíndice (masculine) ponderadoExample sentences1.3 (bias) to be weighted against/in favor of somebody
perjudicar/favorecer a alguienExample sentences
- These factors are statistically weighted as to importance, and relative values are assigned.
- However, note that values should be weighted by their probabilities given the data.
- Data were transformed into presence/absence counts for all comparisons allowing species to be equally weighted.
- Her neck is hung with crucifixes and beads, while her wrists are weighted with bands of stainless steel.
- Billy's hammock had been weighted with shot and his body was thrown into the sea.
- To make sure that the roots stay submerged, tie them gently with a piece of string that has been weighted with a stone.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.