- 1 (well-being) bienestar (masculine)More example sentences
- He said that the health, safety and welfare of officers was always of concern.
- Provision for the pupils' care, health, safety and welfare is very good.
- After a month or so a programme of home visits begins, and enquiries are made about the health and general welfare of each family.
- 2 [Social Administration/Servicios Sociales] 2.1 (assistance) asistencia (feminine) social child welfare protección (feminine) a la infancia (before noun/delante del nombre) [program] de asistencia social welfare organization organización (feminine) de asistencia social 2.2 (payment) (American English/inglés norteamericano) prestaciones (feminine plural) sociales to be on welfare recibir prestaciones de la seguridad socialMore example sentences
- We know that real jobs are a better guarantee of prosperity for the unemployed than welfare.
- The workers are demanding an expansion and prompt payment of welfare benefits to the unemployed.
- The Government wants to keep putting up taxes in order to support its welfare expenditure.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain the term castellano, rather than español, refers to the Spanish language as opposed to Catalan, Basque etc. The choice of word has political overtones: castellano has separatist connotations and español is considered centralist. In Latin America castellano is the usual term for Spanish.