Translation of what in Spanish:
- 1(in questions)what's that? what caused the accident?what's upstairs/in the cupboard?¿qué causó el accidente?¿cuál fue la causa del accidente?what's the problem/his address?¿qué hay arriba/en el armario?what is 28 divided by 12?¿cuál es el problema/su dirección?what's 'I don't understand' in Russian?¿cuánto es 28 dividido (por) 12?what do you do? — I'm a teacher¿cómo se dice 'no entiendo' en ruso?what do you mean?¿usted qué hace or en qué trabaja or a qué se dedica? —soy maestrowhat are you referring to?, [formal] to what are you referring?¿qué quieres decir?what did you pay?¿a qué se refiere?what's the jacket made (out) of?¿cuánto pagaste?I threw it away — you did what?¿de qué es la chaqueta?what?lo tiré a la basura — ¿qué?(say that again)¿cómo?¿qué?(expressing disbelief)splendid weather, what? (British English) [dated]¿qué?¿que qué?what musician? he plays piano in a bar! (American English) [colloquial]un tiempo espléndido ¿no crees?¡qué músico ni que músico! ¡toca el piano en un bar!Example sentences
- You could be run over by the car of bad luck tomorrow, and what will it all have been for?
- If we did it in a normal car it would have been easier to do but what's the fun in that?
- If he was a fool, what were those his folly whipped into orgies of vicious mockery?
- 2 (in phrases) or what? [colloquial]are you stupid, or what?¿o qué?are we lucky, or what?¿eres tonto o qué?so what? what aboutbut what about the children?¡qué suerte tenemos! ¿no?what about my work? — what about it ?y los niños ¿qué?you know Julie's boyfriend? — yes, what about him?¿y mi trabajo? — ¿y qué?what about spending the night here?¿conoces al novio de Julie? — sí ¿por qué?what about a cup of coffee?¿qué tal si pasamos la noche aquí?Walter can't come — what about Arthur?¿nos tomamos un café? ¿qué te parece?what … forwhat's this button for?Walter no puede venir — ¿y Arthur?what are you complaining for?¿para qué es este botón?to give somebody what for [colloquial]¿por qué te quejas?what have you [colloquial]she sells postcards and souvenirs and what have youdarle una buena a alguien [colloquial]what ifwhat if she finds out?vende postales, recuerdos y esas cosas or y demáshe said you owe him money — what if I do?¿y si se entera?what … likewhat's she like?dijo que le debes dinero — y si es así ¿qué?what does he look like?¿cómo es?what's his new film like?¿cómo es físicamente?¿qué aspecto tiene?what's the weather like?¿qué tal es su nueva película?what's the weather like in Peru?¿cómo está el tiempo? ¿qué tiempo hace?what ofbut what of the consequences?¿qué clima tiene Perú?so we're not married: what of it?¿pero y las consecuencias?what's-her/-his/-its-name [colloquial]go and ask what's-her-name next doorno estamos casados ¿y qué?the what's-its-name owhat-d'you call it is brokenve y pregúntale a la de al lado ¿cómo se llama?what with what with one thing and another, I haven't had timela cosa esa está rota [colloquial]el chisme ese está roto (Spain) (Mexico) [colloquial]entre una cosa y otra, no he tenido tiempo
- 3 3.1(in indirect speech)tell me what happenedshe knows what to dodime qué pasóthis is my assistant, he'll tell you what's what around hereella sabe qué hacerhe's hopeless, he's got no idea what's what guess what, I'm going to Paris!este es mi ayudante, él te pondrá al tanto de todo(do) you know what? I'll ask him for a raise!¿a que no sabes? ¡me voy a París!I know what; let's give Bob a call!¿sabes qué? or ¿sabes qué te digo? ¡le voy a pedir aumento!(I'll) tell you what: you pay for the food and I'll get the drinks $50 worth of you know what¡ya sé! or ¡tengo una idea! ¡llamemos a Bob!3.2$50 de ya sabes qué(relative use)they did what they couldlo quewhat I don't understand is why …hicieron lo que pudieronwhat I did was (to) ask herlo que no entiendo es por qué …what it is to be young!lo que hice fue preguntárseloI don't know and, what's more, I don't care¡lo que es la juventud!no lo sé y lo que es más, no me importaExample sentences
- No one expects us to win, so we just have to go out and give it our all, have a go at them and with a bit of luck who knows what we might achieve.
- Of course, you need to build on your luck and that's what we aim to do against Coventry this weekend.
- She would have wanted us all to be happy and to have fun so that is what we will do.
- 1 1.1 (in questions) what book are you reading?what color are the walls?¿qué libro estás leyendo?what parent would do that to his own child?¿de qué color son las paredes?what more does he want?¿qué (clase de) padre le haría eso a su propio hijo?1.2 (in indirect speech) she didn't know what language they were speaking¿qué más quiere?1.3 (all of the, any) See examples: what belongings they had were confiscatedno sabía en qué idioma estaban hablandowhat few hotels there were were fullles confiscaron todo lo que teníanwhat little she owned, she left to her sonlos pocos hoteles que había, estaban llenoslo poco que tenía, se lo dejó a su hijo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.