Translation of wheedle in Spanish:
- 1 (coax, flatter)to wheedle something
out ofsomebodysonsacarle algo a alguienshe wheedled the money out of himle sonsacó el dinerolo cameló para que le diera el dinero (Spain) [colloquial]to wheedle somebody into -ingshe wheedled me into going with herme engatusó or ( (Spain) tb) cameló para que lo acompañara [colloquial]to wheedle one's way into somebody's affection/confidenceconquistarse a alguien/ganarse la confianza de alguien a base de halagosExample sentences
- But then, 10 minutes later, he's still needling and wheedling so convincingly you start to flip-flop back to the earlier assumption that, self-effusing pretence or not, Alan Davies hates having his picture taken.
- The film-makers were busy on the lot or on location, but our producers, like Jacob, stayed in the tents, free to wheedle, convince and extort position from and in the studio system.
- With the new cameras will come no mercy, no human face to wheedle, cajole, or insult.
- 2also: wheedling present participle(tone/voice)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.