Translation of when in Spanish:
- 1 (in questions, indirect questions) when did you arrive? when was it that you spoke to her?I asked him when the next train was¿cuándo fue que hablaste con ella?she knows when to keep quietle pregunté cuándo salía el próximo trenthat was when I realized that …sabe cuándo es mejor quedarse calladasay when!fue entonces cuando or (especially Latin America) que me di cuenta de que …di cuándo
- 1 1.1 (temporal sense) I asked him when I saw himI'll ask him when I see himse lo pregunté cuando lo vithe flesh is pink when cookedse lo preguntaré cuando lo veawhen finished, it will be used to …la carne es rosada cuando está cocidagive me a shout when you're readyuna vez terminado or cuando esté terminado se usará para …when it rains, I take the buspégame un grito cuando estés listoreduce speed when approaching a junctioncuando llueve, tomo el autobúsI'd scarcely sat down when the phone rangreduzca la velocidad al acercarse a un cruce1.2 (if) these results aren't bad when you compare them with …apenas me había sentado cuando sonó el teléfonoestos resultados no son malos si or cuando se los compara con …Example sentences
- You cannot claim to give the facts straight when there is no-one giving the other view.
- I am in the fourth year of my own fight, which is considered a long time when you have the kind of cancer I have.
- It is fantastic to even consider him when he has not been a pupil for two years.
- Theatre is her first love and when she is not performing she can invariably be found among the audience.
- He was looking out the front door yesterday when I had it open to feed the hens.
- One survivor said a meeting was being held in an upstairs room when the blast occurred.
- 2 2.1 (since, considering that) how do you know you don't like it when you've never tried it?why go to a hotel when you can stay here?¿cómo sabes que no te gusta si or cuando nunca lo has probado?2.2 (although) he said he was 18 when in fact he's only 15¿por qué ir a un hotel si or cuando te puedes quedar aquí?dijo que tenía 18 años cuando en realidad solo tiene 15Example sentences
- People could at times be standing at the back when there was room in the front of the train.
- They behaved as if they were in their living room at home, when, clearly they weren't.
- The danger is trying to put your nose through when there is no room and it ends in an accident.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than