Translation of when in Spanish:
- 1 (in questions, indirect questions) when did you arrive? when was it that you spoke to her?¿cuándo fue que hablaste con ella?I asked him when the next train wasle pregunté cuándo salía el próximo trenshe knows when to keep quietsabe cuándo es mejor quedarse calladathat was when I realized that …fue entonces cuando or (esp (Latin America) ) que me di cuenta de que …say when!di cuándo
When used as a conjunction in sentences expressing the future, when is translated by cuando + subjunctive: we'll speak to Carol when she gets back hablaremos con Carol cuando vuelva.
- 1 1.1 (temporal sense) I asked him when I saw himse lo pregunté cuando lo viI'll ask him when I see himse lo preguntaré cuando lo veathe flesh is pink when cookedla carne es rosada cuando está cocidawhen finished, it will be used to …una vez terminado or cuando esté terminado se usará para …give me a shout when you're readypégame un grito cuando estés listowhen it rains, I take the buscuando llueve, tomo el autobúsreduce speed when approaching a junctionreduzca la velocidad al acercarse a un cruceI'd scarcely sat down when the phone rangapenas me había sentado cuando sonó el teléfonoExample sentences1.2 (if) these results aren't bad when you compare them with …
estos resultados no son malos si or cuando se los compara con …Example sentences
- Theatre is her first love and when she is not performing she can invariably be found among the audience.
- He was looking out the front door yesterday when I had it open to feed the hens.
- One survivor said a meeting was being held in an upstairs room when the blast occurred.
- You cannot claim to give the facts straight when there is no-one giving the other view.
- I am in the fourth year of my own fight, which is considered a long time when you have the kind of cancer I have.
- It is fantastic to even consider him when he has not been a pupil for two years.
- 2 2.1 (since, considering that) how do you know you don't like it when you've never tried it?¿cómo sabes que no te gusta si or cuando nunca lo has probado?why go to a hotel when you can stay here?¿por qué ir a un hotel si or cuando te puedes quedar aquí?2.2 (although) he said he was 18 when in fact he's only 15dijo que tenía 18 años cuando en realidad solo tiene 15Example sentences
- People could at times be standing at the back when there was room in the front of the train.
- They behaved as if they were in their living room at home, when, clearly they weren't.
- The danger is trying to put your nose through when there is no room and it ends in an accident.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.