Translation of whirl in Spanish:
- 1.1 (spin)(person)
arremolinarse(head)the sails of the windmill were whirling around and around
dar vueltaslas aspas del molino giraban sin pararmy head was giddy, the room was whirlingestaba mareado, todo me daba vueltasExample sentences1.2 (move fast) (+ adverb complement) she whirled past on her bike
pasó en su bicicleta como una exhalaciónhe whirled aroundse dio media vuelta rápidamenteExample sentences
- It seemed as though her body was dissolving, and as the potency rose, that her mind was whirling, spinning free of her.
- I stared out the window, my mind spinning and whirling.
- He was once again stoic and calculating, the face was blank, but she could sense that behind it his mind was whirling.
- He slammed the brakes as the world whirled around and past him.
- Whole afternoons must whirl past in a daze at Highgrove with hundreds of people rushing about.
- The world whirled past me in a blur, and I didn't stop for anything.
transitive verb + adverb complement
- 1.1 (spin)hacer girarthe boat was whirled around by the currentla corriente hacía girar el botethe wind whirled the dust into the airel viento levantaba remolinos de polvo1.2 (convey quickly)llevar (rápidamente)he whirled us off to a nightclubnos llevó a un club nocturnoExample sentences
- The wind whistled through the trees, making the leaves whirl round Tanon's head.
- Will I soon be going to Tea Dances at the village hall, whirling Mrs Skidmore round in a slow waltz in between the cups of weak Typhoo and the Garibaldi biscuits?
- She kicked off her sandals and we started dancing; me whirling her round and round while her bare feet flew frivolously over the grass.
- (turn) the social whirlel ajetreo de la vida socialmy head was in a whirlmi cabeza era un torbellinohe was in a whirl
la cabeza me daba vueltasestaba totalmente confundidoto give something a whirl [colloquial]let's give it a whirlprobemos
hagamos la prueba
- The tempestuous whirl of circum-Antarctic waters is also responsible for their being among the most fertile in the world.
- The rainbows of colour scattered around the room coupled with the whirl of the spinning wheels when they are put into motion is an amazing combination and makes for a very comfortable atmosphere.
- The whirl of snow rises up next to me becoming bigger than life, completely engulfs me and quickly passes over.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.