Translation of whisker in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (single hair)1.2 (narrow margin) (no plural) he lost the race by a whiskerthey came within a whisker of …perdió la carrera por un pelo or por poquísimofaltó un pelo or faltó muy poco para que …Example sentences
- I intuit Blair will win the election by a whisker.
- This year, for example, the amount given to Republicans is just a whisker more than $1 million.
- This release just missed the cut on the last missive by a whisker and a bit.
- 2also: whiskers plural2.1 (of animal)2.2 [dated] (mustache)bigotes (masculine plural)(sideburns)patillas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- The examiner was a Dr Bull, an elderly anatomy lecturer of rather Victorian appearance, with mutton-chop whiskers and beetling eyebrows.
- Since the mustache part of General Burnside's invention was nothing new, the cheek whiskers became known as ‘Burnsides’ and enjoyed a certain vogue among men of the day.
- The Emperor Franz Josef favoured equally luxuriant mutton-chop whiskers - effectively a beard, with the chin shaven.
- Every once in a while, particularly when I take out clothes that I haven't worn since our move, I find a cat whisker or a dog hair.
- Another notable mode of sensation in cats are whiskers, or vibrissae.
- It has a nose like a dog's, teeth like a leopard's, and whiskers like an otter's.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to