Translation of whisker in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (single hair)pelo (masculine) (de la barba)Example sentences1.2 (narrow margin) (no plural) he lost the race by a whisker
perdió la carrera por un pelo or por poquísimothey came within a whisker of …faltó un pelo or faltó muy poco para que …Example sentences
- Every once in a while, particularly when I take out clothes that I haven't worn since our move, I find a cat whisker or a dog hair.
- Another notable mode of sensation in cats are whiskers, or vibrissae.
- It has a nose like a dog's, teeth like a leopard's, and whiskers like an otter's.
- I intuit Blair will win the election by a whisker.
- This year, for example, the amount given to Republicans is just a whisker more than $1 million.
- This release just missed the cut on the last missive by a whisker and a bit.
- 2also: whiskers plural2.1 (of animal)bigotes (masculine plural)2.2 [dated] (mustache)(sideburns) patillas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- The examiner was a Dr Bull, an elderly anatomy lecturer of rather Victorian appearance, with mutton-chop whiskers and beetling eyebrows.
- Since the mustache part of General Burnside's invention was nothing new, the cheek whiskers became known as ‘Burnsides’ and enjoyed a certain vogue among men of the day.
- The Emperor Franz Josef favoured equally luxuriant mutton-chop whiskers - effectively a beard, with the chin shaven.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.