Translation of whole in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (entire) (before noun, no comparative) there's a whole bottle leftqueda una botella enterahe drank the whole bottlese tomó toda la botellathey've eaten the whole lot!
se tomó la botella entera or íntegra¡se lo han comido todo!three whole daystres días enterosI've been here the whole timehe estado aquí todo el tiempothe whole (wide) worldtodo el mundothe whole individual
el mundo enteroel individuo en su totalidadthe whole truthtoda la verdadwhole wheattrigo (masculine) integralExample sentences1.2 (emphatic use) I was beginning to get fed up with the whole affair
me estaba empezando a hartar del asuntothe whole point of these meetings was to … !¡lo que se pretendía con estas reuniones era precisamente … !there's a whole body of opinion which opposes ithay toda una corriente de opinión en contra de ello
- I am afraid that a whole country, an entire people, will be destroyed for nothing.
- Projecting growth over a whole century for the entire planet is just plain silly.
- The whole idea that the entire country took to arms with pitchforks and scythes is also a fallacy.
- 2 (predicative) 2.1 (in one piece) she swallowed it wholese lo tragó enterothe vase was still wholeel jarrón todavía estaba intactoExample sentences2.2 (healthy) [archaic]
- The bread contains nibbly, whole pieces of grain which have the reputation of damaging fillings.
- When you've done the sums, the rainforest is actually worth more whole than in pieces.
- A whole piece of chicken may frighten them away but a chicken wing keeps them content.
- To be healthy is to be whole, and without unification of the mind, body and spirit, a person will fall ill.
- You express and share feelings, also help others to feel healthy and whole around you.
- Discover your true, whole, healthy self!
- 1 (integral unit) the parts that make up the wholelas partes que forman el todothe whole of somethingthe whole of the morningtoda la mañanathe whole of his body was covered in sorestodo su cuerpo estaba cubierto de llagasthey lost the whole of their savingsperdieron todos sus ahorros or la totalidad de sus ahorrosa threat to the whole of mankinduna amenaza para toda la humanidad or para la humanidad enteraExample sentences
- Similarly, multiculturalism teaches students to see all cultural outlooks as self-contained wholes.
- All ritual systems, from the most ‘primitive’ to the most ‘advanced,’ are coherent wholes in which the human body stands for and symbolizes the social body.
- For another, frequent guest contributions by Sinead O'Conner and Peter Gabriel made the albums seem less like complete wholes and more like fragmented compilations.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.