Translation of wide in Spanish:
adjective/adjetivo (wider, widest)
- 1 (in dimension) [river/feet/belt/trousers] ancho; [gap] grande; [desert/ocean] vasto it's two meters wide tiene or mide dos metros de ancho how wide is it? ¿cuánto tiene or mide de ancho? to get wider ensancharse wide load vehículo ancho she looked at me with wide eyes me miró con los ojos muy abiertosExample sentences
- Why should the chosen few have this enormously wide road to themselves?
- The roads are still wide, though traffic density is much lower.
- Otherwise they will not need so many one-ways even on wide roads.
- Walking along lines 1m wide, a measurement was taken at each 0.5m step.
- Built in 1935, it has eight-foot wide verandahs on three sides of both storeys.
- The expedition also found rings of plankton organisms that measured 10 km wide.
- 2 (in extent, range) [experience/coverage/powers] amplio; [area] amplio, extenso a wide variety of things una gran variedad de cosas we stock a wide selection of imported goods tenemos un amplio or extenso surtido de artículos importados wider debate on this subject is essential es esencial que el tema se discuta más ampliamente her interests are wide tiene intereses muy diversos the newspaper with the widest circulation el diario de mayor circulación there is wide agreement among academics that … el consenso entre los académicos es que … their style of music has wide appeal su estilo de música gusta a un público muy amplio y diverso in a wider sense/context en un sentido/contexto más amplio fog will cover wide areas of Northern England la niebla cubrirá extensas or amplias zonas del norte de Inglaterra the wide world el ancho mundoExample sentences
- Just as the Bank of England has a target for inflation and has to write a letter to the chancellor if it misses it by a wide margin, the new rule seeks to establish credibility.
- But not by the wide margin that many pundits were predicting.
- Needwood Spirit has been at the top of his form in recent weeks and has gained a brace of victories at Carlisle, his latest success being achieved by a wide margin.
- The discussions ranged over a wide variety of subjects, but it was the philosophy of medicine that attracted the largest numbers.
- Today a wide range of fresh varieties such as plum, cherry and vine tomatoes are readily available.
- The colorful, long-lasting blossoms of this wide variety of mums range from one to six inches across.
- This proposal has got wide acceptance among women who came to attend the meeting.
- Gitt, incredibly, replied that his ideas have wide acceptance among scientists.
- The language papers with wide readership in rural areas have responded admirably to the hardships faced by farmers in their own way.
adverb/adverbio (wider, widest)
- 1 (completely, fully) her mouth gaped wide se quedó boquiabierta or con la boca abierta wide apart with your feet wide apart con los pies bien or muy separados they are wide apart in age and interests hay un abismo entre ellos en edad y en intereses open wide! abra bien la boca, abre grande [colloquial/familiar] wide open you left the door wide open dejaste la puerta abierta de par en par I'm going into this with my eyes wide open sé muy bien en qué me estoy metiendo this would leave the city wide open to attack esto dejaría la ciudad completamente or totalmente expuesta a un ataque he's laid himself wide open to criticism él mismo se ha expuesto a que lo critiquen the game is wide open el partido no está definido the argument remains wide open el problema aún no está resuelto, aún no está claro quién tiene razón see alsowide awake, wide-open
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...