Translation of wide in Spanish:
adjective wider, widest
- 1 (in dimension)(river/feet/belt/trousers)
grande(desert/ocean)it's two meters wide
vastotiene or mide dos metros de anchohow wide is it?¿cuánto tiene or mide de ancho?to get widerensancharsewide loadvehículo anchoshe looked at me with wide eyesExample sentences
- Why should the chosen few have this enormously wide road to themselves?
- The roads are still wide, though traffic density is much lower.
- Otherwise they will not need so many one-ways even on wide roads.
- Walking along lines 1m wide, a measurement was taken at each 0.5m step.
- Built in 1935, it has eight-foot wide verandahs on three sides of both storeys.
- The expedition also found rings of plankton organisms that measured 10 km wide.
- 2 (in extent, range)(experience/coverage/powers)a wide variety of things
ampliouna gran variedad de cosaswe stock a wide selection of imported goodstenemos un amplio or extenso surtido de artículos importadoswider debate on this subject is essentiales esencial que el tema se discuta más ampliamenteher interests are widetiene intereses muy diversosthe newspaper with the widest circulationel diario de mayor circulaciónthere is wide agreement among academics that …el consenso entre los académicos es que …their style of music has wide appealsu estilo de música gusta a un público muy amplio y diversoin a wider sense/contexten un sentido/contexto más ampliofog will cover wide areas of Northern Englandla niebla cubrirá extensas or amplias zonas del norte de Inglaterrathe wide worldel ancho mundoExample sentences
- Just as the Bank of England has a target for inflation and has to write a letter to the chancellor if it misses it by a wide margin, the new rule seeks to establish credibility.
- But not by the wide margin that many pundits were predicting.
- Needwood Spirit has been at the top of his form in recent weeks and has gained a brace of victories at Carlisle, his latest success being achieved by a wide margin.
- The discussions ranged over a wide variety of subjects, but it was the philosophy of medicine that attracted the largest numbers.
- Today a wide range of fresh varieties such as plum, cherry and vine tomatoes are readily available.
- The colorful, long-lasting blossoms of this wide variety of mums range from one to six inches across.
- This proposal has got wide acceptance among women who came to attend the meeting.
- Gitt, incredibly, replied that his ideas have wide acceptance among scientists.
- The language papers with wide readership in rural areas have responded admirably to the hardships faced by farmers in their own way.
adverb wider, widest
- 1 (completely, fully) her mouth gaped widese quedó boquiabierta or con la boca abiertawide apartwith your feet wide apartcon los pies bien or muy separadosthey are wide apart in age and interestshay un abismo entre ellos en edad y en interesesopen wide!abra bien la bocawide openyou left the door wide open
abre grande [colloquial]dejaste la puerta abierta de par en parI'm going into this with my eyes wide opensé muy bien en qué me estoy metiendothis would leave the city wide open to attackesto dejaría la ciudad completamente or totalmente expuesta a un ataquehe's laid himself wide open to criticismél mismo se ha expuesto a que lo critiquenthe game is wide openel partido no está definidothe argument remains wide openel problema aún no está resueltosee also→ wide awake, → wide-open
aún no está claro quién tiene razón
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.