Translation of windmill in Spanish:
- 1.1 (mill) molino (masculine) de viento to tilt at windmills luchar contra molinos de vientoExample sentences1.2 (toy) (British English/inglés británico) molinete (masculine), molinillo (masculine), remolino (masculine) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) , rehilete (masculine) (Mexico/México) (Peru/Perú) , ringlete (masculine) (Colombia)
- In the past windmills were used to grind corn into flour.
- Clocks told the time, windmills ground corn, cranes lifted things and so on.
- From the seventh century on, peasants designed and built adobe horizontal-vaned windmills to harness the wind power and grind wheat into flour.
- Children's plastic windmills, stuck in the ground around the same area, are also said to do the trick.
- The Geordie Ambassador turned up on his Marshall plan tractor and lifted potatoes with a whirling device not wholly unlike the windmills on a stick popular with infants and tourists.
- He tempted the children with goldfish, balloons, windmills, cheap toys and a few coppers to bring him rags, but some of the rags they brought him were still being used.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to