Translation of wink in Spanish:
- to give somebody a winkguiñarle el ojo a alguienas quick as a wink not to get a wink of sleep
hacerle un guiño or una guiñada a alguienno pegar (el or un) ojoI couldn't sleep a winkno pegué (el or un) ojoto get o grab forty winksdar una cabezaditato tip somebody the wink (British English) [colloquial]
hacerse or echarse una siestecitadarle el soplo a alguien [colloquial]→ nod
- 1.1(person)to wink
guiñar el ojo
hacer un guiño or una guiñada
atsomebodyguiñarle el ojoto wink at something aalguien
hacerle un guiño or una guiñada
aalguienhacer la vista gorda frente a algo1.2 (flash)Example sentences
- At night, ropes of tiny white lights wink among the vines.
- I can still see him, just, brake lights winking as he catches up with a line of cars ahead.
- Later that evening, as the sun sets and lights wink on in the surrounding hills, I set out to visit the city's most popular bar.
- The smiley icon appeared momentarily, one of the eyes closing quickly as it winked.
- Before I could signal my incredulity he winked and nodded at a diagram pinned to the wall.
- He glanced at Dallas and winked as Calida opened the gate and walked over.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.