Translation of wink in Spanish:
- to give somebody a winkas quick as a wink not to get a wink of sleepguiñarle el ojo a alguienhacerle un guiño or una guiñada a alguienI couldn't sleep a winkno pegar (el or un) ojoto get o grab forty winksno pegué (el or un) ojoto tip somebody the wink (British English) [colloquial]dar una cabezaditahacerse or echarse una siestecita→ noddarle el soplo a alguien [colloquial]
- 1.1(person)to winkguiñar el ojohacer un guiño or una guiñada
atsomebodyto wink at somethingguiñarle el ojo aalguienhacerle un guiño or una guiñada aalguien1.2 (flash)hacer la vista gorda frente a algoExample sentences
- At night, ropes of tiny white lights wink among the vines.
- I can still see him, just, brake lights winking as he catches up with a line of cars ahead.
- Later that evening, as the sun sets and lights wink on in the surrounding hills, I set out to visit the city's most popular bar.
- The smiley icon appeared momentarily, one of the eyes closing quickly as it winked.
- Before I could signal my incredulity he winked and nodded at a diagram pinned to the wall.
- He glanced at Dallas and winked as Calida opened the gate and walked over.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.