Translation of wish in Spanish:
- 1.1 (desire) to make a wishher fairy godmother granted her wishpedir un deseoher wish came truesu hada madrina le concedió el deseohe expressed a wish to be alonesu deseo se hizo realidadse le cumplió el deseohis last o dying wishexpresó su voluntad or deseo de estar soloto go along with somebody's wishessu última voluntadto go against somebody's wisheshacer la voluntad de alguienthey got married against my wishesir en contra de la voluntad de alguienyour wish is my commandse casaron en contra de mi voluntadwish to +tus deseos son órdenes
infinitiveI've no wish to upset you, but …I've no great wish to see the playno quisiera disgustarte, pero …if wishes were horses(, then beggars would ride)no tengo muchas ganas de ver la obrasi con desear bastara …Example sentences1.2
also: wishes plural(greetings) See examples: she sends her best wisheswith our best wishes for a speedy recoverymanda muchos recuerdos or saludosgive your mother my best wishesdeseándole una pronta mejoríawith my sincere good wishes for the futuredale a tu madre muchos recuerdos de mi partecariños a tu madre (Latin America)best wishes, Jackcon mis mejores deseos para el futurosaludos or un abrazo de Jack
- They knew his fears and best hopes, his wishes and his dying dreams.
- We are a mixed bag of people, with different ideals, hopes, wishes and dreams.
- She told me she was comfortable talking to him, and he supported her wish to continue getting her education.
- 1.1 (desire fervently) to wish something
onsomebodyI wouldn't wish that on anybodydesearle algo aalguienI wouldn't wish it on o upon my worst enemyno se lo deseo a nadieto wish (no se lo desearía ni a mi peor enemigo that)I wish I hadn't comeI wish I were rich/a bit taller¡ojalá no hubiera venido!she wished she hadn't told him¡ojalá fuera rico/un poco más alto!I wish you wouldn't say things like thatlamentó habérselo dichoI wish he would go awayme disgusta mucho que digas esas cosasI do wish you'd told me before!¿por qué no se irá?I wish you didn't have to go¡me lo podrías haber dicho antes!John wishes you'd go and visit himes una lástima que tengas que irteojalá pudieras quedarte1.2 (want) [formal] they wish to be aloneJohn quisiera que fueras a verloI wish to be informed as soon as possiblequieren or [formal] desean estar solosshould you wish to do so …deseo que se me informe tan pronto como sea posible [formal]to wish somebody/something to +si así lo deseara … [formal] infinitivehe wishes us to leavedesear que alguien/algo + subjunctive[formal]desea que nos vayamos [formal]Example sentences1.3 (want for somebody) we wish you every happiness
wish me luck!te deseamos lo mejorhe called to wish me (a) happy birthday/(a) merry Christmas¡deséame suerte!I wish you wellme llamó para desearme feliz cumpleaños/feliz Navidadto wish somebody good nightespero que te vaya bienI don't think he wishes you any harm o illdarle las buenas noches a alguienno creo que quiera que te pase nada maloExample sentences
- All parents, coaches and mentors are welcome to attend these sessions, which are most valuable for any parents wishing to become involved with the Club.
- Also needed are locals wishing to get involved by decorating their home, shop, office or workplace along a 1940s theme for the festival weekend.
- Some of the matters involved in States wishing to retain controls go beyond the simple issues of ministerial empires.
- Alan and Lisa are wished every success and happiness.
- Both young people are wished every happiness and success in the years ahead.
- She calls after us to wish us a Shabbat Shalom and while we bless her with health, happiness and success, she wishes us the same.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.