transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [attack] resistir; [heat/pain] soportar, aguantar, resistir; [hardship] soportar; [temptation] resistirMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Whether the Blair government's new law withstands judicial scrutiny remains to be seen.
- Not many flowers are designed specifically to withstand cold and frosty weather.
- Their structure is designed to withstand the harshest heat, wind and occasional sea spray.
- The shield did not look especially strong, but it withstood pressure that would have crushed the man.
- Straffan withstood a very strong comeback from the home side in the second half that yielded a goal from Toms Fitzgerald from 25 yards, to claim victory.
- Leighlin then withstood some strong pressure from Naomh Eoin, who with Robert Foley prominent, threatened to snatch a winning goal.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Central America and Mexico, the word 'botana' means a small portion of food, olives, peanuts etc, usually served with a drink at parties, bars, or social occasions.