Translation of withstand in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [attack] resistir; [heat/pain] soportar, aguantar, resistir; [hardship] soportar; [temptation] resistirExample sentences
- Whether the Blair government's new law withstands judicial scrutiny remains to be seen.
- Not many flowers are designed specifically to withstand cold and frosty weather.
- Their structure is designed to withstand the harshest heat, wind and occasional sea spray.
- The shield did not look especially strong, but it withstood pressure that would have crushed the man.
- Straffan withstood a very strong comeback from the home side in the second half that yielded a goal from Toms Fitzgerald from 25 yards, to claim victory.
- Leighlin then withstood some strong pressure from Naomh Eoin, who with Robert Foley prominent, threatened to snatch a winning goal.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to