Translation of wonder in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (awe, curiosity) a child's sense of wonderla capacidad de asombro de un niñowe gazed in wonder at the scenecontemplamos la escena maravilladoshis success is an endless source of wonder to mesu éxito es todo un misterio para mí or no deja de maravillarmeExample sentences
- She remembered his other expressions, wonder, joy, amazement; all positive feelings.
- But that fear was drowned out by the overwhelming emotions that filled her: awe and wonder, expectation and joy.
- For most of us this remarkable series of volumes will be a constant source of wonder, amazement, and re-thinking.
- Explore the wonders of coral reefs, mangrove communities, and seagrass beds while identifying the marine organisms that live there.
- Divers can explore the underwater wonders of Eastern Indonesia on seven to eight days cruises to the islands of Komodo, Alor, Flores, Sumbawa and Lombok.
- And new galleries exploring the wonders of astronomy and the study of time and an improved astronomy education centre will be opened in the South Building along with a shop and cafe.
- 2 countable (marvel, miracle) the Seven Wonders of the (Ancient) World the eighth wonder of the worldla octava maravillait's a wonder (that) he didn't break his neckes asombroso or es un milagro que no se matarayou're not eating properly; no wonder you feel tired!no estás comiendo bien; no me extraña que estés cansado or ¡con razón estás cansado!with so much unemployment it's little or small wonder that crime is on the increasecon tanto desempleo no es de extrañar que siga aumentando la delincuenciais it any wonder he has no friends?¿te sorprende que no tenga amigos?wonders will never cease! [humorous]¡eso sí que es increíble!to work or do wondersthey can work wonders with the little money they havehacen maravillas con el poco dinero que tienenI'll do my best, but don't expect me to work wondersharé lo que pueda, pero no esperes milagroshe's worked wonders with this room it works wonders for your complexiones maravilloso para el cutisthat hairstyle does wonders for himese corte de pelo lo favorece muchísimoExample sentences
- This is a magical world brimming with wonders, diverse and remarkable.
- It's no wonder that across the country they increasingly regard their elected representatives as gutless wonders.
- It has been less than a week since the gutless wonder conceded the election way too soon.
- 1 (ponder, speculate) why do you ask? — oh, I was just wondering¿por qué preguntas? — por nada or por saberwho can that be, I wonder?¿quién será?I wonder if $50 will be enough
¿quién podrá ser?me pregunto si con 50 dólares va a alcanzarhe said it was an accident — I wonderdijo que fue un accidente — tengo mis dudasat first it seemed a good idea, but now I'm beginning to wonderal principio me pareció una buena idea pero ya no estoy tan seguro or pero ahora tengo mis dudasthe sight of them sitting together set me wonderingverlos sentados juntos me hizo pensarto wonder
aboutsomebody/ -ingwe're wondering about going to Spain this summerestamos pensando si ir a España este veranoI was wondering about Guy as a possible candidateestaba pensando que quizás Guy pudiera ser un candidatoI wonder about you sometimesa veces de veras me preocupas
- 2 (marvel, be surprised)maravillarseto wonder
atsomethingI wonder at your patienceme maravilla or me asombra la paciencia que tienesthey don't trust him, but that's hardly to be wondered atno le tienen confianza, pero eso no es de extrañargone off with his secretary, I shouldn't wonderno me extrañaría que se hubiera ido con la secretariaExample sentences
- He followed her brisk stride, through the hallways and into her office, all the while wondering at the marvel that was Katherine Wood.
- Talking to them, we wondered at the freedom they had enjoyed from an early age.
- She wondered at the invisibility that her clothing offered her.
- Now I'm wondering if Sergei was surprised to see it, in ‘real life’ etc.
- I was surprised, wondering if there was anything wrong with me.
- But, because of my past, I think it took a lot of people by surprise. They wondered what was happening to me.
- 1 (ask oneself)preguntarseI wonder whose book this is¿(me pregunto) de quién será or podrá ser este libro?I wonder what he looks like¿cómo será?I wonder why he does it
me pregunto cómo será¿por qué lo hará?I wonder why I bother
me pregunto por qué lo haráno sé por qué me molestoI wonder if or whether he'll be thereme pregunto si estaráI wonder whether I should take an umbrellano sé si llevar un paraguas o nowe were wondering if you'd like to come around to dinnerestábamos pensando si te gustaría venir a casa a cenarshe wondered what to writeno sabía qué escribirExample sentences
- Those of us who live in the provinces wonder at the obsessive efforts of some Tory politicians to ingratiate themselves with that lobby.
- Children wonder at the crossings as the light-blinking boom-gates close for the pistons.
- He would wonder at the human body's capacity to do all that and more!
- (before noun)(drug/cure)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.