- 1 uncountable/no numerable (awe, curiosity) asombro (masculine) a child's sense of wonder la capacidad de asombro de un niño we gazed in wonder at the scene contemplamos la escena maravillados his success is an endless source of wonder to me su éxito es todo un misterio para mí or no deja de maravillarmeMore example sentences
- She remembered his other expressions, wonder, joy, amazement; all positive feelings.
- But that fear was drowned out by the overwhelming emotions that filled her: awe and wonder, expectation and joy.
- For most of us this remarkable series of volumes will be a constant source of wonder, amazement, and re-thinking.
- 2 countable/numerable (marvel, miracle) maravilla (feminine) the Seven Wonders of the (Ancient) World las siete maravillas del mundo the eighth wonder of the world la octava maravilla it's a wonder (that) he didn't break his neck es asombroso or es un milagro que no se matara you're not eating properly; no wonder you feel tired! no estás comiendo bien; no me extraña que estés cansado or ¡con razón estás cansado! with so much unemployment it's little o small wonder that crime is on the increase con tanto desempleo no es de extrañar que siga aumentando la delincuencia is it any wonder he has no friends? ¿te sorprende que no tenga amigos? wonders will never cease! [humorous/humorístico] ¡eso sí que es increíble! to work o do wonders they can work wonders with the little money they have hacen maravillas con el poco dinero que tienen I'll do my best, but don't expect me to work wonders haré lo que pueda, pero no esperes milagros he's worked wonders with this room verdaderamente, ha transformado esta habitación it works wonders for your complexion es maravilloso para el cutis that hairstyle does wonders for him ese corte de pelo lo favorece muchísimoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Explore the wonders of coral reefs, mangrove communities, and seagrass beds while identifying the marine organisms that live there.
- Divers can explore the underwater wonders of Eastern Indonesia on seven to eight days cruises to the islands of Komodo, Alor, Flores, Sumbawa and Lombok.
- And new galleries exploring the wonders of astronomy and the study of time and an improved astronomy education centre will be opened in the South Building along with a shop and cafe.
- This is a magical world brimming with wonders, diverse and remarkable.
- It's no wonder that across the country they increasingly regard their elected representatives as gutless wonders.
- It has been less than a week since the gutless wonder conceded the election way too soon.
- 1.1 (ponder, speculate) why do you ask? — oh, I was just wondering ¿por qué preguntas? — por nada or por saber who can that be, I wonder? ¿quién será?, ¿quién podrá ser? I wonder if $50 will be enough me pregunto si con 50 dólares va a alcanzar he said it was an accident — I wonder dijo que fue un accidente — tengo mis dudas at first it seemed a good idea, but now I'm beginning to wonder al principio me pareció una buena idea pero ya no estoy tan seguro or pero ahora tengo mis dudas the sight of them sitting together set me wondering verlos sentados juntos me hizo pensarto wonder
aboutsb/ -ingwe're wondering about going to Spain this summer estamos pensando si ir a España este verano I was wondering about Guy as a possible candidate estaba pensando que quizás Guy pudiera ser un candidato I wonder about you sometimes a veces de veras me preocupas 1.2 (marvel, be surprised) maravillarseto wonder atsth I wonder at your patience me maravilla or me asombra la paciencia que tienes they don't trust him, but that's hardly to be wondered at no le tienen confianza, pero eso no es de extrañar gone off with his secretary, I shouldn't wonder no me extrañaría que se hubiera ido con la secretariaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- He followed her brisk stride, through the hallways and into her office, all the while wondering at the marvel that was Katherine Wood.
- Talking to them, we wondered at the freedom they had enjoyed from an early age.
- She wondered at the invisibility that her clothing offered her.
- Now I'm wondering if Sergei was surprised to see it, in ‘real life’ etc.
- I was surprised, wondering if there was anything wrong with me.
- But, because of my past, I think it took a lot of people by surprise. They wondered what was happening to me.
- 1.1 (ask oneself) preguntarse I wonder whose book this is ¿(me pregunto) de quién será or podrá ser este libro? I wonder what he looks like ¿cómo será?, me pregunto cómo será I wonder why he does it ¿por qué lo hará?, me pregunto por qué lo hará I wonder why I bother no sé por qué me molesto I wonder if o whether he'll be there me pregunto si estará I wonder whether I should take an umbrella no sé si llevar un paraguas o no we were wondering if you'd like to come around to dinner estábamos pensando si te gustaría venir a casa a cenar she wondered what to write no sabía qué escribir 1.2 (be amazed) I wonder (that) she didn't fire you on the spot me sorprende que no te haya echado inmediatamente I don't wonder you were upset! ¡como para no estar disgustado!More example sentences
- Those of us who live in the provinces wonder at the obsessive efforts of some Tory politicians to ingratiate themselves with that lobby.
- Children wonder at the crossings as the light-blinking boom-gates close for the pistons.
- He would wonder at the human body's capacity to do all that and more!