Translation of wood in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable(material)
madera (feminine)(firewood)it's made of wood throw some more wood on the fire to touch wood o (American English) knock on wood (before noun) wood carver wood stove
leña (feminine)(for heating)
estufa (feminine) de or a leña(for cooking)
cocina (feminine) or (Colombia) (Mexico) estufa (feminine) de or a leñaExample sentences
- This will become the first housing scheme in the UK to be communally heated with piped hot water from a single boiler fuelled by waste wood from local timber.
- You are much less likely to be arrested for destroying London trees if you buy planks of wood from a local timber merchant.
- He said that in Jepara, the center of Central Java's furniture industry, the quality of teak wood was poor.
- 2 (wooded area) (often plural) oak woodrobledal (masculine)we went for a walk in the wood(s)
bosque de roblesfuimos a caminar por el bosqueto be out of the wood(s)estar fuera de peligro or a salvoExample sentences
- No forests, woods or scrub lands are burning out of control.
- Trees grown in woods and forests do not suffer from this anywhere nearly as badly as lone trees that don't have any neighbours to shelter behind.
- While U.S. campers backpack through woods and forest lands, Malaysian campers trek through the jungle.
- 3 (Sport) 3.1 countable (in golf)palo (masculine) de madera3.2 countable (in bowls)Example sentences
- All lines feature woods with high lofts, thin grips and lightweight graphite shafts.
- The precious cargo of two dozen gutta-perch balls, three woods, three irons and a putter arrived at the doorstep of John Reid's new home in Yonkers not a day too soon.
- I am an enthusiastic if occasional golfer: I can hit the ball well with my woods, but have little control over my irons.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.