Translation of wood in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable (material) madera (feminine); (firewood) leña (feminine) it's made of wood es de madera throw some more wood on the fire echa más leña al fuego to touch wood o (American English/inglés norteamericano) knock on wood tocar* madera (before noun/delante del nombre) wood carver tallista (masculine and feminine) wood stove (for heating) estufa (feminine) de or a leña (for cooking) cocina (feminine) or (Colombia) (Mexico/México) estufa (feminine) de or a leñaExample sentences
- This will become the first housing scheme in the UK to be communally heated with piped hot water from a single boiler fuelled by waste wood from local timber.
- You are much less likely to be arrested for destroying London trees if you buy planks of wood from a local timber merchant.
- He said that in Jepara, the center of Central Java's furniture industry, the quality of teak wood was poor.
- 2 (wooded area) (often plural/frecuentemente plural) bosque (masculine) oak wood robledal (masculine), bosque de robles we went for a walk in the wood(s) fuimos a caminar por el bosque to be out of the wood(s) estar* fuera de peligro or a salvoExample sentences
- No forests, woods or scrub lands are burning out of control.
- Trees grown in woods and forests do not suffer from this anywhere nearly as badly as lone trees that don't have any neighbours to shelter behind.
- While U.S. campers backpack through woods and forest lands, Malaysian campers trek through the jungle.
- 3 [Sport/Deporte] 3.1 countable/numerable (in golf) palo (masculine) de madera 3.2 countable/numerable (in bowls) bola (feminine)Example sentences
- All lines feature woods with high lofts, thin grips and lightweight graphite shafts.
- The precious cargo of two dozen gutta-perch balls, three woods, three irons and a putter arrived at the doorstep of John Reid's new home in Yonkers not a day too soon.
- I am an enthusiastic if occasional golfer: I can hit the ball well with my woods, but have little control over my irons.
- 4 (cask, barrel) matured o aged in the wood añejado en barril beer (drawn) from the wood cerveza (feminine) de barril
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Browse other language resources
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...