Translation of worthy in Spanish:
adjective/adjetivo (-thier, -thiest)
- 1 1.1 (appropriate, equal) [opponent/successor] digno is it really a worthy subject for so much attention? ¿es realmente un tema que merezca tanta atención? to be worthy
ofsth/sb ser* digno dealgo/algn a meal worthy of the occasion una comida digna de la ocasión this work isn't worthy of you este trabajo te desmerece or no está a tu altura worthy of the name digno de tal nombreExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (deserving) worthy
- But White's literary merit probably isn't what Marr discerns as the author's most appealing strength, the quality most worthy of copying.
- Allemano and Carn are part of a younger generation of Toronto jazz musicians that are stepping up and are worthy to be heard alongside those in the Toronto establishment.
- We sinned gravely and are not worthy to be called bishops.
- In my mind's eye, this was a sign that maybe I would be tempted to stray, and thus not worthy enough to get married.
- It's a comic-relief part, but situated in a suitably worthy backdrop, and it affords the actress big moments of pathos as well.
- They don't have to give awards in all 24 categories each year, or even have five nominees if they don't believe there are enough worthy candidates.
ofsth digno dealgo a point worthy of mention algo digno de mención, algo que vale or merece la pena mencionar to be worthy ofsth ser* digno or merecedor dealgo he isn't worthy of such honors no es digno or merecedor de tales honores
- 2 (good, estimable) [person] respetable, honorable; [attempt] encomiable, meritorio worthy work buenas obras (feminine plural) a worthy cause una buena causa a worthy effort un esfuerzo encomiable or meritorioExample sentences
- Do you know of any fellow citizen, who has lately done a worthy action, deserving praise and imitation?
- They were a pleasure to work with and it is great to see young people putting in a lot of time and effort for a very worthy cause.
- The station and its shop will be offering visitors a cup of tea and a mince pie when they come along, in a fund-raising effort for this very worthy charity.
- All of which contributes to making Sylvia a film which, while certainly worthy in intent, won't have very many people seeking to find out more about the poet.
- My generation was raised on a diet of stultifyingly tedious, but worthy accounts of embryology, typically very badly printed on what appeared to be rice paper.
- Usually it was a long and, I often felt, unnecessarily drawn-out and tedious experience where worthy but dull homilies were addressed to the assembled Gaels.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas