adjective/adjetivo (-thier, -thiest)
- 1 1.1 (appropriate, equal) [opponent/successor] digno is it really a worthy subject for so much attention? ¿es realmente un tema que merezca tanta atención? to be worthy
ofsth/sb ser* digno dealgo/algn a meal worthy of the occasion una comida digna de la ocasión this work isn't worthy of you este trabajo te desmerece or no está a tu altura worthy of the name digno de tal nombreMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (deserving) worthy
- But White's literary merit probably isn't what Marr discerns as the author's most appealing strength, the quality most worthy of copying.
- Allemano and Carn are part of a younger generation of Toronto jazz musicians that are stepping up and are worthy to be heard alongside those in the Toronto establishment.
- We sinned gravely and are not worthy to be called bishops.
- In my mind's eye, this was a sign that maybe I would be tempted to stray, and thus not worthy enough to get married.
- It's a comic-relief part, but situated in a suitably worthy backdrop, and it affords the actress big moments of pathos as well.
- They don't have to give awards in all 24 categories each year, or even have five nominees if they don't believe there are enough worthy candidates.
ofsth digno dealgo a point worthy of mention algo digno de mención, algo que vale or merece la pena mencionar to be worthy ofsth ser* digno or merecedor dealgo he isn't worthy of such honors no es digno or merecedor de tales honores
- 2 (good, estimable) [person] respetable, honorable; [attempt] encomiable, meritorio worthy work buenas obras (feminine plural) a worthy cause una buena causa a worthy effort un esfuerzo encomiable or meritorioMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Do you know of any fellow citizen, who has lately done a worthy action, deserving praise and imitation?
- They were a pleasure to work with and it is great to see young people putting in a lot of time and effort for a very worthy cause.
- The station and its shop will be offering visitors a cup of tea and a mince pie when they come along, in a fund-raising effort for this very worthy charity.
- All of which contributes to making Sylvia a film which, while certainly worthy in intent, won't have very many people seeking to find out more about the poet.
- My generation was raised on a diet of stultifyingly tedious, but worthy accounts of embryology, typically very badly printed on what appeared to be rice paper.
- Usually it was a long and, I often felt, unnecessarily drawn-out and tedious experience where worthy but dull homilies were addressed to the assembled Gaels.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Chilean presidential palace in the capital, Santiago, is called Palacio de la Moneda.