Translation of wreck in Spanish:
- 1 (ship)restos (masculine plural) del naufragio(vehicle) restos (masculine plural) del avión ( or tren etc) siniestradoExample sentences
- Plans to move the wreck of destroyer HMS Wakeful out of a shipping lane have been amended to allow the ship to safely remain where she sank during the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940.
- The wrecks of such ships have inevitably been targets for treasure-seekers.
- Everyone hopes to find the treasure hidden in the wreck, even though many doubt that it's there at all.
- The driver of the pickup, who walked away from the wreck of his vehicle, was also taken to hospital, where he received 12 stitches to his forehead.
- The station was a wreck when it was bought 18 years ago and the garden non-existent.
- It was like walking around at the site of a spaceship wreck - huge pieces of dismantled machinery everywhere.
- 2 (something, somebody ruined) the wreck of the industrylas ruinas de la industriaafter the party, the house was a wreckdespués de la fiesta, la casa era un verdadero caosare you still driving that old wreck? [colloquial]¿todavía andas en ese cacharro? [colloquial]the attack left him a physical wreckel ataque lo dejó hecho una ruinathe next morning I felt a complete wreckal día siguiente estaba hecho polvo [colloquial]he's a nervous wreck
- 3 (destruction) the wreck of the Titanicel naufragio del Titanicthe wreck of all my hopes [literary]el desmoronamiento de todas mis esperanzas [literary]
- 4 (crash) (American English)Example sentences
- A fatal car wreck late Sunday night forced investigators to close a southwest Valley intersection through Monday morning, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
- Cars and bicyclists often are not looking for each other, which can lead to wrecks at intersections.
- Michigan's no-fault insurance law provides unlimited lifetime coverage for medical expenses tied to auto wrecks.
provocar el naufragio de
hacer descarrilar(car)the ship was wrecked on the rocks
destrozarel barco naufragó al chocar contra las rocasExample sentences
- Iziko Museums in Cape Town have started off a project to find different slave ships that were wrecked along the South African coastline.
- His ship is wrecked and the passengers take to the long-boat.
- The approach to Jeddah is filled with dangerous reefs, and over the years several ships have been wrecked.
- Two serious accidents, destroying four vehicles and wrecking a house wall and a traffic light at the junction, have already occurred since the lights failed last Thursday morning.
- Photographs of the apparent aftermath - showing wrecked vehicles and dented police helmets - have since appeared on several Weblogs.
- That Nolan was there to play his part was a near-miracle in itself after the youngster's lucky escape from that morning's dramatic smash that wrecked his car.
- 2 (damage)Example sentences
- Holmes has spent most of her career cursing her luck after a string of injuries wrecked her chances of gold at major championships.
- Yet Larkham says that the rapid recovery of debutant lock Justin Harrison, whose career was almost wrecked by a similar injury last year, has been an inspiration to him in his darker moments.
- Keith Wood will be with the 41-man Irish squad on the tour but has no intention of playing in any of the three games after a season wrecked by injury.
- 4 (spoil, ruin)(hopes/plans/chances)
echar por tierra(marriage/happiness)drinking wrecked her health/career
destrozarla bebida le arruinó la salud/la carrera
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.