- 1v + adv→ write away
- 2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 2.1(Finance) (debt/loan)to write something off to bad debts2.2pasar algo a cuentas incobrables(assets)2.3 (consider beyond repair)(insurer)2.4 (damage beyond repair)declarar siniestro total(British English)2.5 (consider a failure, disregard)hacer polvo [colloquial](marriage/project/career)the project was written off as a failuredar por perdidoafter this scandal, he can be written off as a serious challengerse estimó que el proyecto había sido un fracasocon este escándalo, puede decirse que queda descartado como contendiente
Definition of write off in:
- 1.1 (Finance)cancelación (feminine) de una deuda(considerada incobrable)Example sentences1.2 (something beyond repair) See examples: the car was a write-off
their marriage is a write-offel coche fue declarado un siniestro total or [colloquial] quedó hecho chatarrasu matrimonio es un fracaso
- Most banks enjoy a high quality credit rate, so write-offs of bad debts are not common - which means that when they happen, the banks notice them all the more.
- In the event of a loan write-off, the income tax ‘deducted’ is not available as a credit to the borrower.
- It is taking a one-off hit of $10m to cover redundancy payments, inventory write-offs and bad debt.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.