Translation of wrong in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (incorrect, inappropriate)(answer)the answer is wrong
equivocadola respuesta está mal or equivocadala respuesta es incorrecta or [formal] erróneathe time given in the newspaper was wrongla hora que salió en el periódico estaba malhe drew the wrong conclusionsacó una conclusión equivocadayou've given me the wrong changese ha equivocado al darme el cambiothe book is in the wrong placeel libro no está donde debería or debierawe've taken the wrong bus
el libro no está en su sitio or en su lugarnos hemos equivocado de autobúshe went in the wrong directiontomó or (esp Spain) cogió para dónde no debíaa crumb went down the wrong wayse me atragantó una migauna miga se me fue por el otro camino [colloquial]you're in the wrong job, you should be a painterte has equivocado de oficio, deberías ser pintorthis is the wrong time to mention the subjecteste no es (el) momento oportuno para mencionar el temait's the wrong time of year for cherriesno es época de cerezasthose shoes are the wrong thing to wearesos zapatos no son los apropiadosshe always says the wrong thingsiempre dice lo que no debethe picture is the wrong way upel cuadro está al revésI'm the wrong person to askno soy la persona indicada para contestar esa preguntaExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (mistaken) (predicative) to be wrong
- The experimenter records whether that answer was correct or wrong.
- If the answer is wrong, the computer says the same and gives the correct answer.
- Instead of correcting the wrong bits I should have just thrown the whole analogy back at him.
estar equivocadoyou're wrong: the answer is 62estás equivocado: la respuesta es 62I thought it was silver, but I was wrongcreí que era plata, pero estaba en un error or me equivoquéI hope you're/I'm wrong¡ojalá te equivoques/me equivoque!he was wrong about the dateestaba equivocado respecto de la fechaI was wrong about herla había juzgado malyou were wrong in your suspicions you were wrong to assume that he would help youte equivocaste al pensar que te ayudaríaExample sentences
- Shifting his imposing frame, his expression takes on a thunderous aspect, suggesting this is the wrong question to ask.
- Perhaps we have, like Alice, simply been asking the wrong question.
- A shadow seemed to pass over her face, and now it seemed that I had asked the wrong question.
- On this appeal the Claimant contends that the Judge was wrong and should not in any event have decided the point summarily.
- Daunting as it nonetheless was, I was quite wrong to be so awed.
- Can all of those people in the audience be wrong and those few judges be right?
- 2 (morally) stealing is wrongrobar está malI was wrong to abandon himhice mal en dejarloyou were wrong to shout at her like thatno debiste haberle gritado asíis it so wrong to want a little happiness?
estuviste mal en gritarle así¿qué hay de malo en querer un poco de felicidad?I haven't done anything wrongno he hecho nada malothere's nothing wrong with a drink now and thentomarse una copa de vez en cuando no tiene nada de malowhat's wrong with that?¿qué hay de malo en eso?
- 3 (amiss) (predicative) what's wrong?¿qué pasa?you're very quiet, is something/anything wrong?¿estás muy callado, te pasa algo?what's wrong with you?¿qué te pasa?there's something wrong with her
¿qué tienes?algo le pasathere's something wrong with my elbowtengo algo en el codosomething's wrong with the lockla cerradura no anda bienthere's nothing wrong with your heart
algo le pasa a la cerradurasu corazón está perfectamente bienI can't see anything wrong with the engineparece no haber ningún problema con el motorExample sentences
- Doctors were unable to find out exactly what was wrong with Chloe and her condition remains undiagnosed.
- Dairy products were blamed for virtually everything medically wrong with the younger generation.
- She's seen innumerable specialists, all of whom have been baffled as to what could be wrong with her and then passing her on to someone else.
- they spelled my name wrongescribieron mal mi nombreI assume you're paying — well, you assume wrongimagino que pagas tú — pues estás en un error or te equivocasI did it all wronglo hice todo malto get something wrongyou've got your facts wrongestás mal informadoyou've got it wrong: she's Spanish, not Frenchestás equivocado: es española, no francesayou've got it all wrong: we're trying to help youno has entendido nada: estamos tratando de ayudarteto get somebody wrong [colloquial]I got him all wrongme equivoqué totalmente con éldon't get me wrongno me malinterpretesto go wrong (machinery)estropearse
descomponerse (Latin America)(plans)something's gone badly wrong with our marriage
fallaralgo ha fallado por su base en nuestro matrimonioit's straight ahead, you can't go wrongsiga derecho, no se puede perder or (Spain tb) no tiene pérdidafollow the instructions and you won't go far wrongsiga las instrucciones y no se equivocaráhe began to go wrong at collegeen la universidad empezó a ir por mal caminoa nice girl gone wronguna buena chica que se ha echado a perderExample sentences
- We guessed wrong both times, but that's the way it is sometimes.
- If you guess right you will appear to be a genius, if you guess wrong you will look foolish.
- ChoicePoint got his middle name wrong and reported that there was a bench warrant for his arrest in Arizona.
- 1 uncountable or countable(immoral action) mal (masculine)(injustice) injusticia (feminine)to know right from wrongsaber distinguir entre lo que está bien y lo que está malyou did wrong to tell herhiciste mal en decirlein her eyes he can do no wrongpara ella, es incapaz de hacer nada maloto do somebody (a) wrong(be unjust) ser injusto con alguien(treat badly) portarse mal con alguiento be in the wrongestar equivocadoyou know you were in the wrongtú sabes que hiciste or obraste malto put somebody in the wrongthe fact that you lied puts you in the wrongel haber mentido te incriminashe only said it to put me in the wronglo dijo solo para hacerme quedar maltwo wrongs don't make a rightcon un error no se subsana otroExample sentences
- And there will be, inevitably, and quite immorally, an attempt to obscure the historical wrongs and the injustices that lie behind the firestorms.
- Both wrongs also constituted a criminal offence.
- I cannot see how it is possible to right the wrong of murder or another crime with killing someone.
- [formal]she had been wronged by her familysu familia había sido muy injusta con ellayou wrong himlo juzgas malExample sentences
- Jules was capable of getting very aggressive towards people who wronged her and the people close to her.
- If a citizen is wronged by any party, he or she can count on it that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights will protect him and justice will prevail.
- They act with anger towards those who they feel have wronged them.
- Typically, people who feel wronged by the media sue for libel.
- Because this is a novel, Glass can sketch nasty portraits of those close to him, all the while explaining how sorry he is that he wronged them.
- Efforts are being made to allow ordinary citizens a more prompt and accessible redress where they feel they were wronged in a newspaper report.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.