Translation of yam in Spanish:
- 1.1 (plant, vegetable) ñame (masculine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (American English/inglés norteamericano) sweet potato
- Trucks selling yams, widely used as a tonic, can be seen along the provincial highway in Nantou County.
- True yams are a starchy tuber that is a staple crop in many parts of the tropics; they are seldom grown in the United States.
- The tuber from the wing-stalked yam is a valuable source of diosgenin.
- Men clear the bush and plant the yams with the help of the women and the children.
- They also grow taro and yams, bananas, ginger, tobacco and colorful cucumbers.
- In certain regions corn, rice, groundnuts, vegetables, and yams are cultivated.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Spain's 1978 Constitution granted areas of competence competencias to each of the autonomous regions it created. It also established that these could be modified by agreements, called estatutos de autonomía or just estatutos, between central government and each of the autonomous regions. The latter do not affect the competencias of central government which controls the army, etc. For example, Navarre, the Basque Country and Catalonia have their own police forces and health services, and collect taxes on behalf of central government. Navarre has its own civil law system, fueros, and can levy taxes which are different to those in the rest of Spain. In 2006, Andalusia, Valencia and Catalonia renegotiated their estatutos. The Catalan Estatut was particularly contentious.