- 1 (measure)yarda (feminine) (0,91m)it's 100 yards down the road≈ está a unos 100 metros de aquíyard of ale (in UK)(recipiente esférico de cuello largo que se utiliza en concursos de beber cerveza)Example sentences
- On the half hour mark Brian Pendergast let fly with a right foot shot from twenty yards.
- How many inches equal a yard is not something subject to daily fluctuations on the free or any other market.
- I headed the ball back inside and eventually the ball ended up at my feet 20 yards from goal and I just hit it.
- 2 (spar) (Nautical)Example sentences
- The Captain motioned with his eyes and his head to the main mast top yard.
- The argument is that a three-masted ship had three yards on each mast for the square sails, making nine in all.
- They could see Bowles and they waited, bracing themselves against the yard should the two ships collide.
- 1 1.1 (of school, prison) 1.2 (of house)(British English)
patio (masculine)(garden) (American English)
jardín (masculine)Example sentences1.3
- You may even find some that prove more useful in the yard and garden than in your kitchen.
- So, you have decided to plant rose bushes in your yard or on your patio, porch or balcony.
- You'd get to know them, and pretty soon we were just like anybody else hanging out in the yard.
- 2 (workplace)also: boatyardalso: goods yard, freight yardalso: shipyardExample sentences
- Five or six trips to the dump yard on the far lands and I stopped for something to eat.
- These traders require access to their stores and yards to run their businesses.
- My father has a little family business, a scrap-metal business with a yard and lorry.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.