Translation of déjà in English:
- 1 (dès maintenant) il est déjà tardit is already late, it is late alreadyà trois ans déjà, il savait lirehe could already read by the age of threesans cela, j'aurais déjà finiif it hadn't been for that, I would have finished already ou I'd be finished by nowelle serait déjà mariée, si elle l'avait voulushe could have been married by now if she'd wanted
- 3 [familier] (pour renforcer)c'est déjà un joli salaire!that's a pretty good salary!être second, c'est déjà très bien!even to come second is pretty good!c'est déjà beaucoup d'avoir la santéif at least you have your health, that's a good startil s'est excusé, c'est déjà quelque choseat least he apologized, that's something
- 4 [familier] (pour protester)elle est déjà assez riche (comme ça)!she's rich enough as it isdéjà qu'il est assommant, s'il faut en plus l'écouter!he's boring enough as it is without having to listen to him as welldéjà que j'ai la migraine, tu veux que je supporte ce bruit?with this migraine, how am I supposed to stand that noise?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries French
- French-English and English-French dictionary
- more than 910,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers French* and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to French words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts**
**Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com