Translation of graver in English:
- 1 (sur la pierre, le métal etc)to engrave (inscription, motif) (sur on)(sur bois) il a gravé son nom sur l'arbrehe carved his name on the treegraver à l'eau-forte être gravé sur le front de quelqu'un [figuré]to be written all over somebody's face
- 2 [figuré] l'épisode est gravé à jamais dans leur mémoirethe episode is engraved on their memory forever
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries French
- French-English and English-French dictionary
- more than 910,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers French* and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to French words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts**
**Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com