Translation of allora in English:
- 1 (in quel momento) soltanto allora potrai fareallora finalmente poté uscireonly then will you be able to doproprio allorathen at last he could go outfino ad allora un'organizzazione terroristica fino ad allora sconosciutaright then, at that very momentsolo allora sapremo se è salvoa terrorist organization which nobody had heard of before thenfu allora che prese la parolaonly then will we know whether he's been saved or notit was then that he started to speak
- 2 (a quel tempo) allora aveva 18 anniè sempre timido come allorahe was 18 at the timeho gli stessi amici di allorahe's as shy as he was thenla moda, le abitudini di alloraI've got the same friends as I had thenil proprietario, il padrone, il primo ministro di allorathe fashion, the custom in those daysi miei amici di allora erano soprattutto pittorithe then owner, boss, prime ministergià allora era apprezzata la musica modernamy friends at the time were mainly painterseven then modern music was appreciated
- 3also: da allora(in frasi negative e interrogative)(in frasi affermative)da allora non lo abbiamo mai più vistoever sinceda allora ci siamo sempre voluti benewe haven't seen him sincewe've loved each other ever since
- 1 (in tal caso) See examples:se dovesse morire, allora lei erediterebbeallora me ne vadoif he should die, then she would inherit(ma) allora questo cambia tutto!I'm going thene allora?(but) that changes everything, then!
- 2 (quindi) See examples:c'era sciopero della metropolitana, allora ho preso un taxithere was a tube strike, so I took a taxi
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com