Translation of allora in English:
- 1 (in quel momento) soltanto allora potrai fareonly then will you be able to doallora finalmente poté uscirethen at last he could go outproprio alloraright then, at that very momentfino ad allora un'organizzazione terroristica fino ad allora sconosciutaa terrorist organization which nobody had heard of before thensolo allora sapremo se è salvoonly then will we know whether he's been saved or notfu allora che prese la parolait was then that he started to speak
- 2 (a quel tempo) allora aveva 18 annihe was 18 at the timeè sempre timido come allorahe's as shy as he was thenho gli stessi amici di alloraI've got the same friends as I had thenla moda, le abitudini di allorathe fashion, the custom in those daysil proprietario, il padrone, il primo ministro di allorathe then owner, boss, prime ministeri miei amici di allora erano soprattutto pittorimy friends at the time were mainly paintersgià allora era apprezzata la musica modernaeven then modern music was appreciated
- 3also: da allora(in frasi negative e interrogative) since(in frasi affermative) ever sinceda allora non lo abbiamo mai più vistowe haven't seen him sinceda allora ci siamo sempre voluti benewe've loved each other ever since
- 1 (in tal caso)se dovesse morire, allora lei erediterebbeif he should die, then she would inheritallora me ne vadoI'm going then(ma) allora questo cambia tutto!(but) that changes everything, then!e allora?
- 2 (quindi)c'era sciopero della metropolitana, allora ho preso un taxithere was a tube strike, so I took a taxi
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com