Translation of camorra in English:
Cultural Note: Camorra
Widespread in Naples and Campania, this is not a single criminal organization, but a collection of groups (families) which often fight each other for control of criminal activities. It goes back to the 16th century and has practised extortion for centuries, blackmailing small businesses in Naples. After World War II, and above all in the 1980s, it began to control drug dealing and arms trafficking, prostitution and the allocation of public contracts, developing links with politicians and gaining ever-increasing control over the Naples area.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com