Translation of dolce in English:
- 1 (ai sensi)(frutto, gusto, biscotto, miele, vino, liquore)
sweet, pleasantsweet potato, yam (American English)farina dolcechestnut flourflauto dolce (Music)
- 2 (malleabile)(legno, ferro)acqua dolce (povera di sali)
- 3(mite) (clima)
mild(non ripido) (rilievo, pendenza)una dolce brezza increspava la superficie dello stagno
gentle, graduala gentle breeze ruffled the surface of the pondla strada degrada in dolce pendiothe road slopes gentlyatterraggio dolcesmooth landingmorte dolce (non doloroso)painless o peaceful death
- 4 (piacevole)(sorpresa, ricordo, pensiero)sussurrare paroline -i all'orecchio di qualcuno
pleasantto whisper sweet nothings into somebody's earcome è dolce essere amato!how sweet it is to be loved!
- 5 (gentile)(sguardo, viso)
sweet, gentle(persona, carattere)usare le maniere -i
sweet, kindto use kid gloves
- 1 (gusto dolce)sweet (taste), sweetnesspreferisco il dolce al salatoI prefer sweet things to savoury o salty foodnon amo il dolceI don't like sweet things
- 2 (torta) fare dei -ito do some bakingdolce al cioccolatochocolate cakeessere goloso di -ito have a sweet tooth
- 3 (portata)dessert, sweet (British English) , pudding (British English)che cosa c'è come dolce?what's for dessert o pudding (British English) ?al dolce (momento)at dessert (time)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: La dolce vita
The famous film by Federico Fellini (1960) depicted the emptiness and bleakness of the pleasures and pastimes of wealthy society and the show business world in Rome, in the luxurious settings of the Via Veneto and the large villas outside the city. But its title soon became a cliché about a worldly Italian life-style, perhaps one that never existed, until it was reduced to a trite slogan for mass tourism.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com