Translation of ecco in English:
- 1(per indicare cosa o persona vicina) here(per indicare cosa o persona lontana) thereecco (qui) la mia chiavehere is my keyecco che arriva il dottorehere comes the doctorvuoi delle fragole? ecconewould you like some strawberries? here you are (then)eccomi (sono qui)(arrivo) I'm comingcercavi la tua borsa? eccolawere you looking for your bag? here it iseccolo, è lui eccolo che si rimette a ridere!there he goes laughing again!ecco che ricominciano!they're at it again! [informal]quand'eccowhen all of a sudden
- 2 (per introdurre o concludere un fatto)ecco il programma, la soluzionethe programme, the answer is as followsecco qualcosa che vi stupiràhere o this is something that'll surprise youecco quello che devi farethat's what you have o need to doecco come, perché, dovethis is how, why, whereecco tutto ecco fatto!that's that! that's done!ecco il punto a cui volevo arrivarethat's the point I wanted to make o I was getting toSandro sta male, ecco cosa lo angustiaSandro is ill, that's what's worrying him“perché?” - “perché sei testardo, ecco perché!”“why?” - “because you're stubborn, that's why!”
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com