Translation of liberazione in English:
- 1 (di prigioniero, ostaggio) esigere la liberazione di tutti gli ostaggito call for the release of the hostages
- 2 (di paese, città, popolo) di liberazione(esercito, fronte, guerra, movimento)festa della liberazione
liberationnational liberation day
- 3 (affrancamento) liberazione degli schiavifreeing of the slavesliberazione sessualesexual liberation(movimento di) liberazione della donnaWomen's Liberation (Movement), Women's Lib
- 4 (sollievo) provare un senso di liberazioneto feel released o a sense of releasela morte fu per lei una liberazionedeath came as a release for herche liberazione! [informale]what a relief! good riddance (to bad rubbish)!
Cultural Note: La liberazione
The Liberation was the conclusive moment of World War II in Italy, at the end of April in 1945, when the forces of the Resistance rose up in the big northern cities (Turin, Milan, Genoa), leading to the surrender and retreat of the German troops before the arrival of the victorious Anglo-American forces. It is commemorated with the Festa della Liberazione, on the 25th April every year (see also → Resistenza).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com