Translation of liberazione in English:
- 1 (di prigioniero, ostaggio) esigere la liberazione di tutti gli ostaggito call for the release of the hostages
- 2 (di paese, città, popolo) di liberazione(esercito, fronte, guerra, movimento)festa della liberazionenational liberation day
- 3 (affrancamento) liberazione degli schiaviliberazione sessualefreeing of the slaves(movimento di) liberazione della donnasexual liberationWomen's Liberation (Movement), Women's Lib
- 4 (sollievo) provare un senso di liberazionela morte fu per lei una liberazioneto feel released o a sense of releaseche liberazione! [informale]death came as a release for herwhat a relief! good riddance (to bad rubbish)!
Cultural Note: La liberazione
The Liberation was the conclusive moment of World War II in Italy, at the end of April in 1945, when the forces of the Resistance rose up in the big northern cities (Turin, Milan, Genoa), leading to the surrender and retreat of the German troops before the arrival of the victorious Anglo-American forces. It is commemorated with the Festa della Liberazione, on the 25th April every year (see also → Resistenza).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com